1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc wr125 dyno testing

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by gsxr1000user, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

You hillbillies in WV have the most gorgeous terrain to ride in. Every time I drive through I'm looking at the awesome rolling countryside. You must be spoiled by it. I am jealous.

I’d love to drop by Pat (is it Pat?), but it’s not in the cards this year. This Canuck will have to stay in the ice and snow this winter. Actually, my son and I were planning to go to Sumter for the GNCC, but he’s re-broken an old scaphoid injury and is out until we can get him in for a bone graft and all healed up. :(

I could have let you have your way with my ’09 WR144 on your dyno. :eek:

Shucks!
  2. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the a big question many of us have is what is better, a properly jetted stock carb or PWK. Will you have a chance to compare these two carbs? I would also really be interested in a 36mm vs 38mm PWK if you happen to have access to these.
    Thanks
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

gsxr1000user - If I can get my 144 to run decently with the Mikuni, I can send you my 36mm PWK to test.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I hope I dont upset the apple cart, but no airfilter for testing? wouldn't it be more real world with the airfilter installed, especially for all the jetting purposes? Those OEM type oiled foamys cut down on airflow (right?) so wouldn't throwing on the airfilter after all this jetting research put you into the fat zone with more vacuum but lower air/fuel ratio? Or did you guys factor that safety margin in. Am I off base on this? Not to argue just for logical discussion.
  5. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, new that was coming on the air filter. I did early runs with and without it before posting anything with the DEY needle. I thought is might be running rich up top as that is what most people thing with the 470 jet(not true for my elevation in 90degrees) so I took it out and no change really. Every single run is a little different + or - .5hp or so. It just did not make a change so I left it out to get on with the other stuff. At most I would think a main jet size if ever and only on the top end. Remember, the larger bikes put out more power and some use the same or at least similar sized filters. Keen eye though, valid question. As for as TMX vs. PWK- I will spend that 250 or so on a 144kit and get a 10 dollar needle for the TMX. My yz125 runs good enough with it. BillO, sorry about your boy. I have 3yr old twins boys and do not ever want to think of em little hillbilleys gettin hurt on ouer rollin hills and howllers.
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have had no issues at all with the newer TMX on my 09 WR125 with the factory 144 kit on it. Tried Orange silver and hated! then Yellow silver and much nicer and finally settled on white Silver. Also Jetting is
    440 main (one up planned for colder )
    6DEY15-74 needle 3rd from top-most conditions (especially colder weather)
    45 pilot (one up planned for colder )
    4.0 slide
    strter jet =80
    Am wondering about richening needle jet up from R5

Some observations....larger pilot will like air screw further out, maywant to run 2nd position on needle in warmer weather and or with S/A . Could have dropped needle 1 or use better than 93 pump after adding an FMF sparky. All the airflow restriction on exhaust stinks! rather than lean it out, I use 1:4 VP with 93 octane and Spectro at 44:1. around 600 to 1500 ft. getting aroung 55 here now.

** larger jets for colder weather and/or lower elevations. set pilot jet/air screw combo so you have adjustment either direction on the idle speed screw, (in other words make sure the idle speed screw is not most of the way in when bike is warm and idling slower)
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

gsxr1000user no I haven't ordered the 144 kit but I am about ready to pull the trigger on one. I read reports about how much better it feels but I would like to know in real numbers what the gains are.
  8. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Updated !!! One of my formulas got f*&K#d in teh last one. These should be good now.

I don't know if this information is around here anywhere, but here are 5 charts I use for jetting correction factors. Once gsxr1000user has come up with a definative configuration for his locale these might come in handy in making them work for the rest of us.

Since all the factors are listed as percents, they just add.

Attached Files:

• All.doc
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks for that Billo . You say a 1 % difference is one main size smaller 390 to 385
    Where I ride if a ride starts early morning at 50 - 55 degrees and it becomes 85 degrees we ve got a 5% difference....
    I guess you would need to tune at the average temp say 70 degrees ?
    How do needle height adjustments equate to percentages?
  10. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah, temper that with how long you'd ride in 55 vs. 85. At 55 you have much better cooling, so being a tad lean at that temperature is OK. As well, being a tad rich at 85 will not kill you. It's the nature of the beast. However, weight it more toward where you'll spend the most time.

Needle height adjustments are "out of scope". The reason I say that is that the tapers of needles can be very different so there is no way to equate needles with a single valued function. You'd need a different graph for each needle.

That said, with the exception of the starting circuit, all the fuel that passes into a carb passes through the pilot and main jets. You won't go far wrong with just adjusting the main and pilot. However, for big corrections (5% or more) it would not hurt to adjust the clip by a grove in the appropriate direction.
  11. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Joe, my 09 wr125 has an r8 jet needle or what I would call main jet nozzle. I Think the larger number is richer. Was your r5 stock? Going to a larger passage on the nozzle would make the entire needle operation richer but I could not find one. I did measure it somewhat with a 7/64 drill bit and found it to be just over that size. Something between and 1/8 inch bit and 7/74 but the needle change is easy. You need to do some WFO runs through the gears all the way into 6th and chop throttle/kill engine/check plug color. Easy on the dyno but a little less so on the road. I cannot think that your 144 is even close to good up top. The DEY needle did not flow any more fuel with a jet drilled out to 3/32 inch which is larger by far that a 470. Try it and see if your bike runs better,same, worse at WFO.
  12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    There is also A yellow washer and throttle cable holder to make a have clip move on the TMX for about $14. That might help you compromise temps?

Thanx!
  13. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yea, I saw your earlier post on that and I will keep it in mind. Heading to Boston for the weekend so no work gettting done hear. But, I do have base baskets, CR ignitions system and other things on the way guys. Will do part throttle testing first though. I can't devote all my time to this endevor.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    gsxr1000user (Code name Dynosaurus),

Quit playing around in Boston and get the new ignition, ring and base gasket on!
  15. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yea, yea, Yea! Wedding weekend with friends=free food, booze and eye candy if you don't get caught lookin. I don't expect my parts till later in the week but will be working on part throttle testing maybe Wednesday. May get a wideband O2 on it just for info and less guessing or to waste more time? Need to check cranking compression just for giggles but I think it should be ok. I have already milled the head before the dyno runs; milled about .018 squish band was about .055ish before milling. Wish I had a stock head to do back to backs. Anyone willing to send me one I will pay a deposit and return shipping. Walt? How bout those pipes?
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I am passing on the Doma. The work to make it fit the new frame will be much harder with a 99 pipe than an 02 and later. I will send you the FMF as soon as I get back from Bend in a couple of weeks. I will be buying an HGS 144 pipe in the not to distant future though and will send that to you when it happens.

PS, I might send you my 144 top end with the FMF pipe and you can bolt it on your bottom end and run some tests. Let me know if this is of interest to you.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes Walt he told me to tell you to send the 144 on over for testing.....jk. I would love to know what the real gains are and hope he does in fact ask for your 144 for testing; thanks for offering it up.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Pretty simple as it is just sitting on the bench with the 167 mounted up and we will be out of the mtns when I get back. I will be taking it to Bend just in case.
  19. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well those are wonderful offers that I may have to take you up on Walt. How fresh is the top end? I have only looked in the manual and see serveral sizes for the rist pin bearing? Might slow things up a bit when swaping parts. How much is a ring and piston for the 144? Seperate prices. I still want to finish(start)part throttle testing but I am getting sick of looking at it on the dyno. I may take a break and remount the knob to ride the dam bike as I have been one of the sick buyers that was/is willing to sell it on Ebay like you stated. Just made the first payment today; also sold my very nice 08 300 xc-w today. If I did not have the wr I would have an 11 250xc in a minute. No comments unless you have ridden the 2011, its that good.
  20. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

John, you still coming to town this week? I need to get a ride in!