1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 144 kit first impressions...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there is just something about these goofy little bikes that is so endearing. My friends all said my 125 would never get ridden again when i brought the TXC250 home but the 125 continues to impress and get the lions share of ride time.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    My friend Greg's '10 TXC250 is an amazing bike, but I'm so glad to get back on my little WR125/144 after a ride on his. I know I've said this a bunch..... When I rode the '08 TXC250 for the first time at the '07 Northeast Husky Gathering, the first thought in my head was that this chassis would be incredible with a 125 2T in it, not that I had to have a 250F!:busted:
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm comming off a kx250 so the 144 is a big step down in power. But I find that I'm not missing it that much. Even with the tmx it still jets easier then it did as a 125 and the power is plentyfor tight trails. I now just leave it in 2nd and go. I don't know if I'll miss the power at Starvation Ridge though in the wide open.
  4. roostafish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF
    LawnDart, I'd be willing to bet that you'll be even more pleased in the open. I only say that because in my personal experience I think I'm actually faster in the open stuff on a 125. If I rode exclusively at China Hat, or some other flat, open area, I wouldn't bother getting a bigger bike. 125 be plenty. Spin her tight, row the box, smile big.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I believe the 125 would be awesome at chinahat. Light and stays up on top the whoops. At Eddieville and starvation ridge I think I would rather be on a faster 4 stroke. Less work and handling / weight matter less as the track is 20 feet wide.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I sold a nice working YZ 250 because it had to much for what I did. Was hard to climb hills with and it would get real squirly. Much rather ride this 125/144. I like 250's but after adapting to the 125 I really see little need for it on for the type of riding I do 85% of the time. I have a real nice 94 WXC250 that is a great bike, nice smooth power, but feels like a barge in comparison to the 125. I can hardly wait for tomorrow. :D
  7. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks for the report Kelly - sounds awesome.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

Thanks for the update. When you get the Clarke tank in just send me a paypal request. I don't want the IMS, I still have nightmares about that 3.9 I had on my WR 250 for one ride. :eek: I swear it was like riding a propane tank and was very happy that I didn't have a groin issue by the time I finally got back to the truck. In fairness the old style 3.4 gal tank on my WR 360 is a good tank and gives that bike a 120 mile range.

I second your thought that you will get better mileage with the 144 at race pace. The ability to run all the level and slightly climbing areas at least one if not two gears higher and still faster than the 125 will help.

Walt
  9. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Now for the dumb question...

The factory 144 will work on a 04 CR 125 right ? In reading the reviews maybe that's all I need (when I save up) the 167 might be too much...

Kevin
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kevin,

It will bolt right up. The newer heads use a bolt instead of a stud and cap bolt but you can pick the bolts up at any fastener outlet like fastenal, etc. I believe the power valve parts are all the same except for the power valves themselves. If you inspect Kelly's picture of the power valves you can see that the kit power valves have ~ 1mm narrower sealing surface. This is good because the 125 grind is pretty conservative for the larger bore. Mine are about half that wide.

Walt
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Kelly
    Have you tried a bigger muffler on your bike - eg Turbine core 2 or even stock again
    I had a pro circuit muffler and didnt like how bike performed with it as much ..
    I think bigger muffler helps with torque and smooths out the buzzy feel.. less noise too
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Stock on '09 WR125 US spec is a CR125 shorty ( both original and
    updated Arrow one).
    I run an OEM Husky Euro3 silencer from non-US spec '09 WR125. I think does have more torque and is smoother.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Rode it yesterday in one of the gnarliest areas around here. We had a KTM450, GG300 YZ250 and WXC250 (mine I lent out) so I was once again on the smallest bike. No matter, passed GG300 on hill several times, motored by YZ250 with rekluse on hills several times, bike works awesome. Did about 50 miles of the gnar and had a freaking blast. Bike is SO much more forgiving and you can shift 2-3-4 on uphills while gaining speed. 5th feels like third now and this bike needs an 8 speed. Bikes overheating, crossed up on hills, off the trail, i just motor on. :) Rode the YZ and my WXC and while both had lots more power but the 144 had no issues and was seldom on the pipe to keep up. They also feel 50 pounds heavier and I was slower on them.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nice follow up report. Ok K should I spend the money on my 08Cr125 for the 144 kit, pick upa new 09 WR125 (3,700.00) and add the 144 kit or get a new 09 WR250 (4,500.00) and just keep the 125 stock?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I can't tell you what to do, way to many variables and I do not personally know you or ride with you. For me the 144 is the most perfect bike for tight woods, for me. I traded off yesterday and could hardly wait to get back on the 144. But then I am fully converted. The buddy on the YZ did not care a ton for the 125/144, it takes some getting used to. His YZ felt way over powered, hard to control and 30 pounds heavier. 2 feet longer to me so it is very much a personal preference thing. Adam who was riding my 94 WXC250 liked the 144 a lot which is surprising because he is a mild, sit down and lug it rider. He liked it as a 125 also. I am fully converted now and see no need for a larger displacement for what I ride. It is only useful for 2% of the ride, the 125 is more useful / amazingly EZ to ride the other 98% of the time so thats works for me. Really I am one 3 gallon tank away from total bike bliss. But that is me, i can't say you will have the same experience.
  16. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can't see why you would get a WR 144 for the riding you do, but that price is just awesome. You ride mostly MX tracks and some open type riding (i.e. not much tight single track stuff in the trees), right? You don't need the headlight...you don't need the kickstand. The biggest WR 144 benefit would probably be the newer ergos and handling out on the trails. Personally, I would just add a 144 kit to your CR 125, which is made for the riding you do.

17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well K I know my 09 TXC 510 is to much bike and I do like my 08 CR125 but I just want/need more midrange. I love how light my 125 feels and is but I haven't had the chance to ride a Wr250. I know you have and with your 144 kit how is the basic handling feel of the wr144 and the wr250 compare? I don't do any real tight riding mostly 4 wheeler trails and play at MX. I am no sping chicked at 51 but I do jump around on the MX track. Does the Wr250 "feel" and ride big and heavy? Thanks, John
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Dang fitness you sound like you know me or ride with me, thanks for your thouhts I really appreciate it. I am selling the TXC510 so I may just get the 09 WR250 and mod the 124 to a 144.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So yesterdays ride answered a lot of questions about the 144 kit to me. The area we rode I usually bring the TXC250 to as there are some seriously large and quite nasty hills. Took a few prisoners yesterday, always does. This are is in the Pacific coast range and is all mountains so you are going up or down and usually fairly steep. It is all clay base with rocks, challenging in areas. There is also deep mud in many places. This is where the infamous Trask Mountain ISDE was held and rated in the top ten of all time hardest off road races in the USA. Of course we are trail riding not on a 6 day race so our trails are a bit EZer but this area usually trips people up some. We have also recently had record rain fall so there was some good mud / slick stuff.

so the 144... Well I simply love it. Now that the honey moon is over it is already feeling not super strong like i had felt last ride. That said it is just because i am now used to it. It pulls WAY better off the bottom, lugs up hills brilliantly with perfect power. It's a hill climbing beast. Much more forgiving and accelerates up hills that before it would just go up, now it goes up and you keep shifting up. The soft mid has been replaced with a good strong mid and than makes all the difference. I was amazed how i could hang with 250/300/450's on long open loose rocky climbs. The 125 would not do this and that is were I lots most my time to the bigger bikes. Now it is not really an issue as it will accelerate up hill and you can keep shifting up. It is fantastic. My Gopro locked up or I would have some killer vids, I was pissed. Anyway the 144 adds good bottom end that will scratch and claw it's way up anything without bogging or falling off the power, will rip hard in the mid and allow up-shifts into high gears while pulling a hill, and screams on top accelerating hard and catching people. No it is not a 250, not even a 200 but makes near ideal power for me and uses it well. BTW I am getting about 2-3 more miles per gallon.

No pix of the gnarly stuff as it is thick woods and hard to get shot except in the more open stuff. Will get some gopro next time.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Adam trying the 144 on a good hill...

[IMG]

Rollie on the YZ 250

[IMG]

Ken working his way up on the GG300

[IMG]

And showing what gets that bike in trouble on hills...

[IMG]

58 YO Joe, extreme sportsman and black belt, Joe kicks ass. I hope I can ride half as good at his age.

[IMG]

You need to be real good at riding in a lot of down logs, snags, limbs and stumps here.

[IMG]

My 94 WXC250 with Adam on it. BTW Adam was a good bit faster on my WXC than on his own 07 WR250. Go figure. Everyone noticed it. Adam tried to trade me his 07 the first time he rode the 94 :D that old bike works well. Smooth heavy flywheel motor, nice plush Showa suspension and slick wide ratio 6 speed makes this a very good mount. Adam went faster on that at the end of the day than I think he has ever gone.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Go Joe...

[IMG]

Found some fresh cut single track that was epic...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Love them huskys...

[IMG]

BTW everyone but Rollie (YZ250) was running Motoz and loved them.
  20. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Kelly!!! You are going to make me move out there, dammit....