APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It will certainly reduce emissions but you will always have loss of unburned charge out the exhaust with a conventional 2T. Any pipe made is only completely efficient over a small rpm range.
  2. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Out here in Cali, we have this ridiculous red sticker/green sticker bs. I don't even know the parameters of the red sticker. I assume it's emissions related. Maybe the smartcarb as oem could make Cali bikes green sticker. I also think street legal would be a pipe dream.
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Ahhh, Cali. I lived there for 3 months in the early 90's. It took me a week to figure out I F'd up... and another 2 and 3/4 months to move back to NC.
    454x, wallybean, Coffee and 2 others like this.
  4. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GasGas EC300 2009 KTM 300XC
    Frankly we have spent more time developing the SmartCarb for 4 stroke applications than 2 strokes. So, YES, we are developing a 39mm-44mm side pull w/throttle position sensor design in conjunction with the die cast 2 stroke carburetors we are preparing to release this spring. They will be die cast as well and likely we won't ever release any billet versions of these, as they simply would be too expensive.

A Keihin FCR style 4 stroke replacement carburetor is much more expensive to develop and build than the PWK replacement carburetor we released this fall. So they will have to fall in line sometime a little later, but they are coming, mostly to satisfy the 4 stroke off road market, but we will have V-Twin applications too.

We also have 18-20mm 4 stroke carburetors for the Asian industrial motorcycle and scooter markets and have already achieved EPA/ARB certification with a GY6 scooter based SmartCarb in the US, without the need of a catalytic converter.

Market wise there are many more 4 strokes than 2 strokes and is most likely the market we can achieve emissions certification in, so it's a big deal for us. We will begin certification validation testing for Zaeta and TM's 530 4 stroke after the first of the year and it's very likely it will certify for North America. If that truly happens then we will literally be overrun by manufacturers who are tired of playing the throttle stop, lean pop, unsatisfactory A/F settings game they are playing now to sell in the US and North American markets. EURO III, well that's a different animal and may require a lightly loaded CAT to meet certification, but it is certainly doable.

The SmartCarb for 2 strokes, combined with other technologies might meet emissions regs in the US at some point and hold off DFI for awhile. But for now the SmartCarb alone can provide upwards of 50% emissions reductions in premix applications, though far short of meeting EPA street legal certification.

Corey [IMG]
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm glad the 2-stroke SmartCarb came out first so I don't have to keep chasing the jetting on my 165 Husky :applause:. I can't put into words just how clean and strong my 165 runs with the SC. I only have one 4-stroke now and it's not as hard to keep running cleanly so I'll grab a 4-stroke SC for that later.
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Really interesting Cory, I'm late to this thread but sent you an email so I can get on the list.
  7. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Most 125's come with a 38mm so I'm surprised that Husky's come with a 36. I would say then with those rev's a 38mm would be an excellent choice and would certainly make a lot more peak power.
  8. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK, I'll look for that. Would encourage you to go ahead and place an order on our site that will get you in line.
  9. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    On the list for a billet 36!:banana:
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just read all of this and it is still hard to beleive.My 2008 CR 165 has the same carb it had when it was a stock 125 I still have not adjusted or changed a thing.It runs great from below sea level to up about 7,000 feet.You have heard the motor in some of the videos I posted.But once Mr Walt has one and he says it will run better I might just try one.I have been out testing as the next big race for the 165 will be King Of The Moto extream hard enduro Been trying a few different tire sizes and some gear changes.It is also one week after the first National So I think I will ride the CR 300 at the National then the following weeken the 165 at the enduro.Then one week later is round 2 of the Nationals at Red mountian where the 165 might be better.Soon there is a race almost every weeken Might be time to have Walt help me build a new 165 with all the trick stuff on it
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm sending mine to Kelley on Monday for his testing then he's sending it to Walt. I'm sure they will both call it like they feel it but I'm very happy with the SmartCarb on my 08 CR WB165 :D. ajax your video's don't count.....you are WFO all the time LOL!
    454x and huskybear like this.
  12. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The last few days I have been out riding the hardest rockest stupid stuff I can find close to my house Trying to get ready for king of the moto.Found some rocky canyons which
    I tried on the 300 and could not make it,just to much bike to man handle in the rocks.Then the next day I tryied the 165 and made it.Went to a 110/90/19 tire and 13/52 gearing.Been running a 14/52 and a 100/ 90/19 was suprised how well the 110 and lower gearing worked.I only live 60 miles from where the event will be held so now will go there and see if i can make the parts they used last year.Last few night i watch videos of Red Bull romanics,Hell Gate,
    Esberg ect looking foward to see just how far I can go.Last year it was pro only 50 starters and 4 finished This year there will be a pro course and a expert course.Going this slow over all the rocks just might be the perfect test for this new carb OK Walt lets hear you ride report
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The SC on my 165 does put out more power everywhere but IMHO the best parts are just how crisp, clean, and steady the pull is. I don't ride any big rocky stuff but I would think it would be a huge help.
  14. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1

Corey,

Have you considered a "rental" program where potential buyers could rent the SmartCarb for a 1-2 week period to test. This would be a great selling tool in my opinion because it let's a skeptical buyer convince they need it, they turn around and spread more free advertisement, and more come knocking on your door to try it out. The rental program could be done on a waiting list like you are doing for purchasing the die-cast version. The buyer/renter would pay shipping both ways and whatever amount you deem appropriate for the 1-2 week trial period. It could also be set up as a pay-forward where after getting done with it, the one user then ships it to the next person in line (and sends you a confirmation mail for tracking). Only a few carbs would be needed for demos, then you could sell those in the end if desired at a used price.
  15. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I wonder how this carb would work with the thermostat still connected on a 250/300.
  16. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Wonder if this works on the same principal as a predator carb?
  17. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No, not at all. Similar to a Lectron / Quicksilver carb.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Most like the E.I. Blue magnum.
  19. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I just read the thread on KTM talk http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=463188&hl=smart carb
    And found out a whole lot about these carbs and the person that came up with the original design,interesting!

Anyway,the carb is getting positive feedback with the KTM crew and it seems in the future they might come factory equiped from Gas Gas?
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

SmartCarb on the way to ya K.
    flyingbob likes this.