EJK

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Biff Malibu, Jul 1, 2014.

1. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I agree. It's definitely over fueling. I believe the problem lies somewhere in the transition from green to yellow and the overlap of the two
  2. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS

I tried the 1.5 setting yesterday and this morning. It didn't do the trick for me either. I believe the problem is in the programming somewhere. I tried to find the email they sent me when I first got the TR650 specific controller nearly a year ago but I can no longer find it to get the exact wording but they told me that they had added a "7 second ramp down" to alleviate some of the engine braking. What I took this to mean was that when you get out of the throttle the controller would gradually over seven seconds decrease the amount of fuel rather than just shut it off. I am wondering if this may be where the trouble lies with this controller. The stumble always occurs on my bike when getting out of the throttle while the controller is in yellow mode. Maybe that is why it seems to be over fueling?
    The bike runs really well with these settings: 4.5/2.5/.5/.5/6/.5 Now if I could just get rid of the stumble I would be happy.
  3. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT

When you dump the throttle, there are no more injection pulses coming from the MM ECU. It makes me wonder how the EJK decides when to turn on the injectors during the 7 second interval you mentioned.

Normally the EJK stretches the injection pulse. But if there is no pulse, it's hard to see what the use to trigger their module. And it's hard to see how they decide what rate to output pulses. For example if the bike was at 5000 RPM when you dropped the throttle, the EJK would be seeing an injection pulse coming along every 12 mS. The injection pulse width might have been 3 mS which the EJK extended to 3.2 mS. Now you drop the throttle, the MM ECU stops sending pulses to the injectors. Perhaps the EJK just in-the-blind puts out a pulse every 15 mS, decreasing to every 40 mS (the EJK has to assume a rate of deceleration) over the 7 seconds you mentioned, and perhaps they reduce the pulse width from 3.2 mS to 2 mS over the same time period. As you can see it's like trying to sing in tune when the band stops playing.

It seems like they have an algorithm to guess when to put out fuel pulses but it's one which might take a lot of tuning. And also the algorithm, to work well, would need to know what gear you're in because the lower gears have faster rates of deceleration.

Be interesting to hear what additional info you get from them.
  4. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Green max fuel changed from 5% to 10%. No start-up idle fuel delay. This means the EJK adds fuel immediately where as the BMW version has a delay before it starts adding fuel.

Yellow time out has been cut back- the yellow zone only stays on for a set amount of time before going back to green or into red.

Red max fuel dropped from 20 to 10%

This is what I remember from an email i got from Dobeck

I sent them an email describing the problem. I have not heard back yet. Next I'm going to try leaving green settings the same and "zeroing" out the yellow. I'm going to try yellow .5. Yellow/Blue 8
  5. jodie Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati monster, kymco 500 xciting
    hi, im from manila and i just got my EJK but havent installed it yet, been reading the intructions and i cant seem to find where it says i have to disconnect the O2 sensor.

do i leave it plugged in?
  6. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I tried to increase the green/blue to 1.5 as well, and restore the default settings, but the stumble problem did not go away, albeit it's not as critical as at 0.5. Moreover, there is now a gap in fueling between closed throttle and slightly opened throttle. So far zeroing the yellow has proven to be the most effective in terms of drivability.
  7. Coltx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Tierra
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD FLSTC, Duke 390
    You have to disconnect the O2 sensor. It's under SPECIFIC TECH INFORMATION near the bottom of the page. http://www.electronicjetkit.com/DirtBike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=9110038
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I rode to work on 4-2-.5-.5-8-.5 bike ran very smooth. One slight burp when I first left the house but fine the rest of the way
    V8Astro likes this.
  9. jodie Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. jodie Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    just took it for a test ride.. wow.. what a difference :)
    im very happy
  11. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    With stock setting?
  12. jodie Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Made some small adjustments on the green and yellow i think. the rest is factory settings
  13. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rode to work. About 50*F outside. No hiccups or stalls so far....

4-.5-.5-.5-7-4.5
  14. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm running good at 4-2-.5-.5-8-.5 about 40*F this am
  15. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So far so good?
  16. Alex Danielsen Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husky Terra.
    Other Motorcycles:
    F800gs, Aprilia Tuono Racing
    I have ordered and just received the TR650 specific EJK, and I am pretty sure it must have the latest update as I had to wait some weeks for it to be made. I also ordered the SAFR lambda tuning tool so I can fine tune the settings. I got everything installed and did a short (very short) test run yesterday. I have had a booster plug on my bike since new, and I've never had any stumbling or stalling problems with my bike, I did however feel it was lacking in power low down and the throttle response was very sluggish up till 3000 rpms, so that was my main reasons to get the EJK. I would like the make the engine feels as responsive as in the BMW G650 XChallenge.

I can inform that the stock settings in this latest TR650 unit are: 4 - 3 - 0.5 - 0.5 - 3 - 4.5.

First off I noticed that the bike idles a tad calmer without any hunting and is dead steady at 1600 rpms when warm. It does seem to be a bit rich in the green zone as AFR at warm idle is hovering around 13.1. Riding off I immediately noticed that the throttle response is improved and there's much more power from low revs, and generally the acceleration is much stronger. The yellow zone seems to be pretty good to slightly rich as AFR's would be in 13.5 range and gradually go down as I increased the throttle until it hits red zone and go as low as 12.0 on full throttle and revs above 5000.

As noticed when idling, it does seem to be on the rich side in green zone, as the AFR's would be around 13-13.5 when cruising in 5th gear at 65-80 mph. I would like cruising AFR's to be close to 14.5 to retain good fuel economy, so I am going to try lowering the green zone settings, and maybe also the yellow zone a little bit.

I did however, also experience the stumbling issue others have reported, when backing off the throttle after a hard acceleration and then trying to get back on the throttle again. The bike would hesitate, splutter, fart and not respond for a few seconds until the EJK had sorted itself out and got back to normal. And I can verify its definitely a rich issue as the AFR's would plummet to under 10 as far as the needle would show. And as soon as the EJK sorted itself out, the AFR's would come back to normal. It was a quite short ride as mentioned, so I didn't have much time to play around or change settings, but the issue seems to be mostly triggered when riding aggressively and quickly go from full throttle to no throttle and then back on the throttle again. I think I will try and gradually lower the yellow/blue and red/blue settings to see if that helps..

Anyway, just my initial experiences.. I will try and get out riding as much as possible for the rest of the week when I am off work and have the SAFR lambda tool available and if the weather will allow me. Winter hasn't quite left here yet, and its still 5-6 degrees C and wet outside..

Alex.
    jodie likes this.
  17. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Interesting observations. I have the AF-XIED and haven't tried the EJK. But I have also noticed that the fuelling seems to adjust with aggressive riding. Lots of exhaust popping on decelleration, sputtering and even occasional cut outs. It also feels much stronger in the adjust state. The conclusion I've come to is that the ECU is adjusting according to riding style whether by design or fault which is probably making it difficult for the EJK to work with it.
  18. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS

I origianlly had the EJK for the F650GS and i didn't have any issues. It was only after I sent it in to have it repaired when the LEDs quit working and they asked if I would be willing to try out the TR specific controller that I started having problems.
    V8Astro likes this.
  19. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:

Alex I agree 100% with the to rich assessment of the cut out problem lowering the yellow fuel and moving the cut in is how I handled it. I am interested to see how this turns out now that you can see whats going on.
  20. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Please email this info to dillon@dobeckperformance.com

I've been trying to figure out settings that don't cause the stumble. I believe since you have the SAFR your data could help them more than my/our description of the problem.