EJK

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Biff Malibu, Jul 1, 2014.

1. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Ok, but my EJK is just a reflashed 650gs unit. Before performing the reflashing, the unit worked perfectly.
  2. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

So what was the part number on the 650 GS fueler???
  3. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E

GS650 unit is Dobeck part # 9110013
    TR650 unit is Dobeck part # 9110038

As far as I know no one here or on ADV have claimed to experience the 4k starvation from the GS unit.
    wferrari likes this.
  4. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist

Thanks Nick !

Good info!!
  5. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Then it could be as simple as bad programming for the TR650 re-flash. Maybe ejk doesn't quite have the settings perfected.
  6. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    I recently changed the yellow switch point from 3 to 2, kept everything else as-is.

Experienced the cutout for the second time today. It lasted longer than the last time I felt it while cruising, possibly from bumping down where the yellow switch point is, can't be certain though. And, likely because I was slowing down to a stop as the cutout began, the bike stalled. This was with clutch fully in so I it looks like it really cuts all fueling when it happens :eek:
  7. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Dobeck got back to me suggesting to increase the yellow/blue point to 6. I will reinstall the EJK and test it tomorrow.
    Louisbiker likes this.
  8. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    This morning I reinstalled the EJK (which was pretty much on the way back to Holland), and increased the yellow/blue point to 6. This time I run the cables so that the unit would be placed to the front of the seat, allowing me to make adjustments on the fly. Right off the bat, the problem is gone, but, as expected, there is a sensible delay between the green and the yellow zone, so much so that I feel like I'm driving a turbo engine, which kicks in at around 5000rpm. This is especially very noticeable at stock settings (4-3-.5-.5-6-4.5), so I've started adjusting both the green and the yellow/blue values. At the end of the ride, I've reach what I think is a satisfying compromise at (5.5-3-.5-.5-4.5-4.5), which can yet be further adjusted, but I reckon by not over ±0.5. I have to say that, while the bike is not as smooth as before with the 650gs settings, it feels more powerful, and coming from a week of running the bike without EJK, the difference is really noticeable.

So I guess my EJK is going to be a keeper. I will post any change to the settings if I find them further improving the bike's behavior.
    Coltx likes this.
  9. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I'm sorry for taking over this thread, but today I experienced the stumbling problem again, after increasing the green to 6. This time I closely observed the EJK leds (not something you normally want to do in Roman traffic) while it occurred, and I've noticed that the bike was still in "green" mode. So it got me thinking, what if the problem is not the mixture going lean, but the exact opposite? Somehow it seem that the engine is not ready for an over-enrichment coming from closed loop to open loop, so I lowered the green to 3, and the bike seemed to really benefit from this, as I didn't experience any stumble so far, and the "gap" in deceleration/acceleration between the closed loop and the open loop mode is a lot less abrupt. So right now my settings are 3-2.5-0.5-0.5-4.5-4.5, but this afternoon I will bring back to stock the yellow and the yellow/blue settings (3 and 3) and let you know.
  10. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I am working on this cut out problem. I have been told that is is yellow fuel. I am at 4.5-3.5-1.5-.5-3-5.5 It is getting better. I have added red fuel, green fuel, raised the red yellow transition point and yellow fuel. I have noticed that you have to ride the bike for the changes to settle in, like it is trying to understand what you just did...... kind of weird
  11. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Since each of your bikes will have developed different adaptive fueling values during the time it was Closed Loop, before you installed the ejk, the setting will likely vary from bike to bike.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  12. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    As Dobeck pointed out, the problem may be with the fuel quality. Until yesterday I was running 100 octane fuel (ENI Blu Super+). Today I filled up the tank with standard fuel (95 octane) and will let you know if I'm experiencing any difference. My current settings are 2-2-.5-.5-3-4.5 . The bike is running almost fine, with some hesitation in the yellow zone from time to time. I'm still considering reverting back to the 650gs settings thou.
  13. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    With the EJK specifically setup for the 650gs the settings reached by the users were very similar, if not identical. With this unit things seems a little more complicated, but I guess that if an optimum setup is reached, that should work for all the users.
  14. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    I had installed the EJK last fall after trying a wide variety of devices and found it pretty hard to get dialed in. I attributed this to the unknown factor of long term fuel trim and where the ECU was operating at the time of installation. Just last week I had the valves checked by the dealership and they also have a Moss tool so I had the ECU properly reset at that time. I'm hoping that when this bitter cold weather passes I can get the bike back in service and start over with the EJK settings. Question - do you think I should run it for a while without the EJK to let the fuel adjustment settle in or just go ahead and install the device? This EJK is one of the recent ones sold and was set up specifically for the TR650 prior to leaving the distributer. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
  15. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    :mad: I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. Lots of small changes to dial it in but no luck. There's seems to be two extremes with the in-between being ok at best.

On one side there's snappy performance, smooth rev-up and gentle engine breaking but that comes with the 4k starvation that has stalled me out more than once and feels terrible when it occurs. You almost have to shake it off with the throttle just right or it lingers for a long while.
    On the other side, you can totally eliminate the starvation. But that comes with only marginally-better than stock performance, strange switch points and harsh, sometimes jerky engine braking.

I'll play around a bit more and try any other suggested values that get posted up. But if I can't get this right I'll be sending mine back again to get flashed back to the GS650 program as I had it much more dialed than this.
    wferrari likes this.
  16. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Nick780 pretty much sums it up for me too.
  17. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    So I decided that the problem is the transition fuel from yellow to red . So i turned it off and worked back 4.5-4-1.5-.5-8-.5 so far so good. The bike is running smooth pulls hard and if the flat spot is still there I can't feel it. I think I will work the Y/B back down from 8 to see if I can get a better hit on the power from green to WOT. I could leave it alone right now and it would be just fine, so at last I have a goto setting.
    wferrari likes this.
  18. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I think you nailed the problem on the head. The bike runs as really smoothly, and I really wonder if it can get any better than this. Thank you for sharing your settings with us.
    Louisbiker likes this.
  19. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E
    Interesting.

The cut happened again while riding yesterday and, while the engine was sputtering, I could have sworn I smelled gas. If it is the red zone it could be dumping in too much fuel rather than starving the engine...
    I'll try that out soon.
  20. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    So it was not just me. I smelled fuel as well on those stuttering moments, as if the cylinder was overly-enriched and would not ignite. I don't think the red zone has something to do with it, more likely the yellow zone, because the problem happened, at least for me, during deceleration followed by acceleration at around 4000 rpm. In any case try the settings proposed by rww, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Louisbiker likes this.