KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

e-bikes .......urban bikes.........I knew BMW didn't like or have plans for a new 2-stroke Husky :D. Good to read Mr. Pierer will be the owner I feel a little better now :applause:.
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got to love this quote
    "The focus of the realignment will be on urban mobility to factor things such as megacities and traffic density, as well as environmental issues."
    German engineering, urban mobility,(which I am sure was the buzz phrase around the wasser kooler that day) and Strategic vision. Got one word to counter all that "philosophy and wishful thinking".......Stalingrad

I read that whole thing as "WE NEVER CARED FOR ANYTHING SMALLER THAN 650 NOR ANYTHING THAT SPENDS MOST OF THE TIME IN THE DIRT.......SO.........CYA"
    raisrx251, AndrewS, Tinken and 2 others like this.
  3. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    If I understand this article correctly (my German is not perfect), Pierer is still interested in a cooperation between KTM and Husqvarna.

(web translation)
    Vienna / Eid. Stefan Pierer is always good for a surprise coup. As the Indian automobile and two-wheeler manufacturer Bajaj got in 2007, KTM, KTM boss made the headlines. Now has Pierer, with KTM also holds the majority, turned the tables: About his Pierer Industrie AG buys Husqvarna competitors. To the purchase price, he says the "press", "The Pierer has never bought expensive." The previous owner, BMW, paid around 93 million euros in 2007, when he took over Husqvarna of the Italian MV Agusta.

The two companies have formally separate ownership, as "brothers", they offer a lot of synergies. Listed company KTM is 51 percent of Cross Industries, which in turn is 25 percent of the Pierer industry and 50 percent of Pierer Invest. "The motorcycle industry follows the trend in the auto industry - "several brands under one roof, said Pierer. Mainly engaged in research & development as well as in purchasing and production of components He aspires between KTM and Husqvarna in close cooperation. The distribution and brands remain separate.

Whether the Husqvarna factory will remain in the long term Cassinetta in Varese (Lombardy), Pierer answered as follows: ". Austria will benefit more in the long term"
    typeone likes this.
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Pierer Industrie AG, a stand alone company set-up and owned by Mr Stefan Pierer, has, with immediate effect, acquired and taken over in full Husqvarna Motorcycles. The company, the recently modernised factory in Varese, all parts, stock and staffing are now owned/controlled by Pierer Industrie AG.

Don’t expect Pierer Industrie AG to be able to make much in the way of serious progress in the coming weeks and months due to EU rules and regulations. In this case most likely the EU Anti Trust Authorities.

Mr Pierer – CEO of KTM Sportmotorcycle AG, took KTM from bankruptcy to be the off-road powerhouse it is today, – he has a successful business track record that is second to none. He’ll have a definitive plan of attack. What that plan of attack is remains to be seen… the most likely place for this is the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan, November 7-10. That gives Pierer Industrie AG time, but not a lot of time, to get their house in order and to implement their master plan. Thats Strategic vision....Urban Mobility is not Strategic Vision.
    ray_ray and typeone like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In all respect said dealer was an old time husky dealer before things went south. I think they always had husky dealership just did not sell husky's. Steve is an odd guy but I gained a ton of respect for him after he made a very nice ride bridge happen at great expense and time to himself.
  6. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    So, help me understand.
    BMW was bad for Husky.
    KTM ownership could spell the end of the husqvarna brand.
    Stefan Pierer will be good for husqvarna.
    Pierer owns a controlling stake in KTM.

Somehow I'm still lost. I'm sure as the weeks and months go on the details will become clear.
    I kind of like how BMW changed a few things at husky; the 449/511 looked to be a great bike (but seems it will now be axed).
    The new 'Redhead' motors seemed to be the powerhouse answer to the other MX machines. Not sure if that was a BMW influence.
    The TR650; what will happen to it? (Seems VERY BMW based design and marketing).
    What about the Nuda? (again another BMW based power plant and design influence).
    Looks like the only bright spot would be 2 stroke development.

My brain is too small to comprehend BIG business (corporate) ideology.

I was going to buy the Strada, but Canadian dealerships here didn't seem at all interested in standing up for the consumer. Back in September I decided I'd keep my TC250 (but put in my modded estart 6 sp TC450 motor).
    After the disgust of CDN pricing and lack of info back in Nov I'm pursuing my roadracing goal of twins racing and bought a Ducati 1198S. (There is no longer a class for the SMR).
    I'm shocked more than anything about the Husky / BMW sale. Not sure how it will affect me other than parts availability. I would buy another husky in the future, so I'll watch and see how this unfolds.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I thnk it means we may not be on red pumpkins after all :D. At least that's my hope and understanding at this point.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bajaj bankrolling Claudio Castiglioni when he owned MV, Ducati, and Cagiva/Husqvarna? Maybe it was TATA but I'm pretty sure it was a Indian manufacturer that was sponsoring the group.
  9. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I would be happy with a little KTM tech integrated into my Huskies. They can keep their WP forks, PDS and steep steering angles, though. :thumbsup:
    ray_ray likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I for one did not hate the BMW ownership. They saved husky to some extent. I love my redheaded bastard stepchild the TE511. I think they did well upgrading the x-light stuff, keeped a good name rolling. Added a 650 Ds bike and 900 street bike. I was never in the I hate BMW crowd. I like to wait and see what the actual product is and the bikes i bought from BMW (husky) were and are fantastic. My 511 and 650 are very nice bikes I am quite proud of. Now it looks like we are in for big things. I see only good coming from this. On the flip side if I was a KTM head i would be a little freaked out.
  11. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    What kind of things are you thinking that Husqvarna will benefit from KTM tech?
    Sure I don't want PDS and WP suspension. The frames and reliability from KTM aren't particular there strongest point (literally and metaphorically).
  12. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    I guess many things are still possible the way this deal is structured. Competition regulators might not have approved the deal if KTM would have made the purchase, maybe they do now. Their disapproval might also be a forcing Pierer to sell his KTM stake and focus solely on Husqvarna.
    Maybe that was the plan from the beginning. Pierer is a racer (as far as I can tell), so he might be more interested in a pure dirt competition brand than in a company that is producing volumes of commuter bikes for the Indian and south-American market.

Time will tell, but I'm fairly sure Pierer did not buy Husqvarna to kill it or turn it into red-and-white KTMs.
    WoodsChick, Planepower and ray_ray like this.
  13. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We just got the email confirming the sale from HMNA,pending any laws etc that would kink the deal its been done signed sealed and delivered.
    typeone, oregonsage, 454x and 2 others like this.
  14. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    Interview Manfred Grunert BMW Motorrad about Husqvarna
    Thursday, January 31, 2013

(web translation)
    Today Nieuwsmotor.nl talked with Manfred Grunert, Head of Product Communications BMW Motorrad. "I can now announce that BMW Group indeed will sell Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG for an undisclosed sum. This is subject to approval by the competition authorities, we expect that within a month can be completed. Due of the enormous drop in the offroad market, BMW has decided to focus purely on BMW Motorrad, so onroadmodellen of over 600cc. never say never, but in the short term, BMW will therefore not return in the offroad segment.

The new owner will be responsible for the service of the sold Husqvarna's. At the moment he takes over the brand will immediately cease all involvement of BMW, which also applies to supply engines and parts for current models. All "expat" employees from Germany at BMW are still on the payroll and will therefore return to BMW. The employees of Husqvarna'll just stay in service.

We do not feel this as a loss of face but as a logical decision after the collapse of the offroad market. I know the circumstances under which other major engine manufacturers withdrew from an Italian company, but for us this is not an issue. Your remark that this is very costly for BMW I can not answer, as you know we do not talk about the sums of money. "
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    lots of fast upgrades, new bikes, more displacements to choose from, really nice tank options, wide ratio transmissions, better fit and finish... these are things I think of when I ponder what KTM has over husky. Keep the husky fantastic handling / geometry and sexy design and lets get it on.
    boisedave and 454x like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Be really interesting to see what Decosters trace team ends up with.
    ohmygewd and ray_ray like this.
  17. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

What I am waiting for now is a press release from the new ownership group... for some idea of the direction of the brand, etc.. This deal could be structured any number of ways. I am hoping that the "cooperation" between Husky and KTM is more Husaberg focused than KTM focused. Where the cooperation likely will come is to combine R&D and certain manufacturing processes. This makes some sense I think.

What I just don't know is why Husky and KTM would directly compete for the same buyer if there is a formal relationship? Look at the Husaberg/KTM dynamic -- what that did as allow the owners of KTM to sell some more bikes through existing Husaberg dealers and, in the end they sold more bikes. Are the the same -- pretty close. But they sold more bikes. Is this what we can expect from cooperation? Perhaps, but I don't really think so. I expect something more like the Suzuki/Kawasaki thing. Where Husky doesn't have to develop certain models, but rebadge them to sell as its own and pay KTM a royalty [think mini bikes maybe?]. This is my hunch but who knows.

If it turns out the relationship between the ownership group at KTM and Husky are not totally unified, then I would expect each brand to continue on and try and carve out somewhat seperate niches. Like the auto industry. This sort of deal makes sense from the back end perspective [R&D or manufacturing]. The real question is -- what is in store from Husky, what is the "strategic vision."

This is particularly important for me -- because I will be buying a new bike in the fall. I was holding out for a new 250 2-stroke. Now I will wait and see again.

Last thing -- I get that people don't like KTMs. I have an emotional attachement to Huskys because I rode them when I was in high school. I had an 86 250WR that I loved and am dying to be another Husky and be a real part of this forum. For me though -- KTMs are WELL established and reliable. If you don't think KTM makes a quality product you should look at the number of orange bikes at off-road races and on the trails around here. Personal preferences aside -- its hard to argue that KTMs are "inferior to Husky." From my perspective again -- Husky -- not KTM -- has issues in getting bikes to work. The evidence is in this forum. I am here and on KTMtalk -- trust me when I tell you there are lemon KTMs too but Husky has its own issues. My point here is not to slam anything or anyone but just to encourage folks to think a little broader. All these bikes are good -- Kelly harps on this and I am 100% in the same boat. In the end -- I think this could be a really good thing.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'd guess true on the Bajaj angle of selling bikes to the masses of a country and someone at ktm likes to races dirt bikes ... :) ... He now owns a dirt bike company that was a long history of dirt bike races just waiting for the right riders to mount up ... This guy is gonna kick ktm into the 3rd row if possible ... And help them along at the same time he's helping Husky lower the boom on whoever is next ...

---

bmw did ok and got out of way as needed for this dirt bike racing owner stud to purchase the company ... I take back 12% of the crap I said about them on this thread ... Now, the rear view mirror that has bmw in it, is now officially broken off the car and tossed in the back seat ..

-- Time for that drink to the New Improved Husqvarna Company :banana:
    454x likes this.
  19. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's what I meant to say!
    454x likes this.
  20. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    As an ex KTM owner I can say their 2t motors are awesome and at the moment having the most r and d and I wouldn't mind having one in an xlite frame250/300 of course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.