KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The difference that I see is that India is very busy building that portfolio of companies and brands but the Chinese seem to be happy at making cheaper copies with no brand or distribution. There is a big difference there.
    McKay likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That china bike angle is what is happening here ... I got off riding in the mountains last week and ran into an group of (about 6) riders and they were all on china made 4t bikes ... Parts made in china, imported here, rebuilt, and branded with the importers name ... In past about everyone had a old 2t japan bike ...

All china bikes here... Cost is about ~50,000P or about $1,250.00 at the current exchange rate ... Rims are 17" and maybe as small as 14" ... These type bikes are just starting here and may all be junk when the cost of an engine rebuild happens ....

101_1507_Crop.jpg
    john01 likes this.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know a couple of guys that picked up Chinease bikes, rode them a few times, and then they became pusher bikes. I told the knuckle heads to pick up used 2-stroke Jap bikes :banghead:.
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

5. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...this thing is making me ill..I "AM" A LOYAL HUSQVARNA OWNER,RACER,TRAIL RIDER,ETC. FOR 35 + YEARS.Owned over 12 of them.This is the 3rd time this is happening to them...I 've dealt with some b/s thru the years...no company is perfect..but standing by waiting to see what will unfold this time('specially when the name KTM is thrown in it)..IF this happens ,I may buy a few 12/13 my's so I won't be buying into the orange team.
    Lonfish and ray_ray like this.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thats the way (old 2t machines) it has always been here ...but look at the tires on those bikes, they are all muddy so these guys have been off in the valleys here ... These appear to be a slightly better quality than what was here in the past 5 yrs or so ... The clones parts are getting better ... These guys are not worried about speed on the trails so these bikes sort of fit in here well with the low cost and small wheels ... Stay 90% on the road and the other on mountain roads only (no trails) and these bikes work ok .... These guys will hack any fix but if the cost of fixing the engine is high , these machines will be junk within 2 yrs ... OR that frame with have a 2t japan engine installed.

There is no japan equivalent bike to these due to the low cost ...
    101_1201.JPG
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey at least they are riding and look to be having a good time; and thats what it's all about.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I had a nice conversation with Malcolm Smith this evening who seemed quite shocked that BMW wanted to sell off Husqvarna. He had recently sold his 570 Berg and been riding a KTM, though I know he prefers to race an old Husky. He did seem pretty optimistic that good things will come out of this. I know he still loves the Husqvarna brand and he is hopeful that they will move away from BMW design and start making superior Husky quality machines.
    454x, rockdancer and Gotlabs like this.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This message was sent to me today by a German friend that is normally on the inside of the motorcycle industry.
    Seems he has heard that KTM CEO is selling his stock in KTM to Bajaj India. Using that money to purchase Husqvarna himself. SO, KTM is not buying Husqvarna but Stefan Pierer.

"Today I heard rumors that BMW will sell Husqvarna to KTM. Later this day
    an update: KTM boss Stefan Pierer will sell his KTM parts to Indian
    Bajaj company, buy Husqvarna via his "Cross Holding" and make HVA
    successful like he did with KTM lots of years ago.
    So KTM will not buy Husqvarna, but KTM CEO Pierer"

Leo
    john01, Steve-oh and ray_ray like this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for the update and this is exceeding all my exceptions for the Husqvarna brand :banana: .... Mr. Pierer may be headed for Husky history along with some of the other greats who have dealt with the company in the past ...

--

Getting goose bumps here ... If this pans out ...Husky is gonna be a true atomic pumkin smasher (APS) with the guy pushing the red button knowing what the orange is doing hands-down ...

Husky NA must be rolling in the hallways ... These are the days you can't wait to get to work ...

AS29 is still my pick for an ama Husky rider ...
    john01 and Gotlabs like this.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am hoping this is a good thing. I see that similar info has already been posted by Kelly. I think Mr. Pierer sees that Husqvarna is a brand on the brink of a breakout to mainstream.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    They'll have to build a new 450. Dungeys contract has to be up relatively soon and he can't leave Decoster. May e Decoster will follow this guy an then we have Dungey riding a Husky!

Yeah I know, it's a stretch lol
    steadydirt and john01 like this.
  13. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very interesting indeed. My local KTM dealer, who, by the way, verbally trashed Husky one year ago to my face when I was considering a TE, is now carrying......you guessed it, Husqvarna!!
    Gotlabs and ray_ray like this.
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    You need to aim SW from Estacada to find a better dealer :-)
    jmetteer, Lonfish and Motosportz like this.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep there has been some very good reporting going on here :) ... I read one of his interviews posted here and he seemed like a true business guy and used the word competition a few times in reference to businesses competing ... He said he liked doing business with the Bajaj head guy also ... Mr. Pierer may see this as a $$ chance and also gets to take on his previous crowd on the race tracks of the world ...

With players like this running the show, anything is possible ... Husky has already proven in EU over the last few yrs its bike can win the enduro stuff ... Finished 10th or 11th in the MX racing over there with a reported 1/2 a$$ team support from the factory ...SM racing dominated till shut down ... Dakar type racing has been great ...

Husky is ready to make a showing and there is not a flashier looking bike than a Husky when running at top speed in any type of racing ...

I may have to get a little ~drunk in celebration of this event if it goes through ...
    310huskyTE and 454x like this.
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    That's funny. When I bought my wr250x the local dealer (at the time) sold KTM's and huskies. I called to see if he had a leftover supermoto. Apparently he had sold it a week before I called and said I couldn't buy it used for the price he sold it for. Then he began to tear husky apart. I asked if they were really pieces of crap. Then he told me he just hated BMW. He was upset because of how many bikes bmw wanted them to have because he still had 2 year old left overs.
    He told me that they were great bikes and that if I got my hands on one I could order parts from some other great dealers.

By the end of the conversation I actually felt bad for him.
  17. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    The Malcom Smith? - I re -watched "On any Sunday" on Youtube the other night - the guys a Husky riding legend. Love the last scene with him Mert and paul Newman fanging around the sand.

This all sounds great - so what will happen to Husaberg??
    Tinken likes this.
  18. Big and Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmm. I think that would put me in the vacinity of Salem:D Wonder if they have any Huskies down there in that area? Heard they don't take KTM's on trade in though!
    rancher1 likes this.
  20. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    YES YES AND YES YOUR CORRECT
    Lonfish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.