KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The problem in the US is that the last year under Swedish ownership Husqvarna won every major offroad championship in the US. After they were sold they haven't won any. The Italians handling of US distribution was not done very well.
    Chicken pot pie likes this.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Can't argue that point, but don't tell me Husqvarna ceased to exist the day Electrolux sold to Cagiva. KTM's success in the US was largely due to Rod Bush slavishly following the racing and marketing plan, that Mark Blackwell used to put Husky US on the top in the 80's.....
  3. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well he also owns what was left of Husqvarna Sweden. The R&D for Berg is still done there.
  4. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    '03 Polaris Predator, '86 YZ490
    You know I'm in!! :cheers:
    4eyes likes this.
  5. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It didn't of course but in the US it was a slow decline and it has never recovered. In the southeast Husqvarna for the most part does not exsist anymore. I have to look for hope that I could get them to sell again. I love motorcyles but at the end of the day I have to be able to sell them.
  6. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great point -- and something I think is getting lost in the shuffle. I see [again - I don't have a clue and am just guessing] a gradual replacement of Husaberg with Husky. Makes sense -- they share common DNA. As for what the bikes consist of -- I think we know -- the real question is how much different than KTM will they be? I guess we wait.

If you look at Husaberg now: Limited [A few 4-strokes and a couple of 2-strokes]. If I were KTM I think I might consider replacing Husberg with Husky and now you have existing Husaberg Dealers with much more of a full line of bikes [assuming Husky is a full line]. Even if its not a full line -- I think it makes some sense. You also get more dealers if you assume all Husaberg Dealers are now Husky Dealers. I don't know -- just seems to make sense to me.

A couple of other comments:

1. Maybe now [probably not for 2014] we will actually see new model year Huskys at the dealers when other manufacturers get their bikes. This could be a real benefit to growing the brand. I rode a 2013 KTM 350 in July of 2012. Just sayin'.

2. From a purely selfish standpoint I sure hope I see something cool soon. I am in the market NOW
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    then who will?

i was thinking about this last night. what a shi**y deal this for the TE, TC etc clients, HvNA and dealers here that have strong brand oriented relationships with their clients. oh how their phones must be ringing. "what if i have a warty issue? where do i get parts for my bike?". can you imagine the chaos a statement like this could create? how it damages the Brand Image for Husky?

i sincerely hope with all my heart BMW lands in court with a giant civil suit slapped on their ass by the dealers and clients because guess what, you CANT do this.

says alot about BMW.

BMW can suck it. :naughty:
    4eyes likes this.
  8. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

BTW -- When is someone going to photochop a Husqvarna and the gunsight onto a Husaberg? Maybe even mock up a Red and White Husaberg?

Another thought -- If the DI 2-stroke rumors have something to them, then this transaction makes sense as to why people talk about it but it hasn't been seen. Just a guess -- but if it really exists and is on the cusp of release, I bet the new owners would want that Thunder. I bet there were some severe consequences if old Husky disclosed that assuming the deal has been cooking for awhile. This also plays into the speculation that a new bike will be shown a the European show in November. What do you think of that!!!
  9. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    When Cagiva bought Husqvarna in 1986 they wanted the 510 4 stoke it was way ahead of its time and Cagiva knew this. When KTM bought Husaberg in 1995 they wanted their 4 store as it was way ahead of its time "thanks to it's Husqvarna DNA". When B.M.W. bought Husqvarna in 2007 the twin cam was new and there was great gound work was made for the offroad market. As a business owner I see this sale as a way to control or eliminate a competitor. That is what I'm afraid is going to happen look at what they did to Husaberg. Made it a speciality bike not wanting it to ever be mainstream. They are never going to let any of their companys outshine KTM.

As a owner of the last Swedish bikes back in the late 80's and seeing how Cagiva did away with the Swedish parts for the 86-87, I would tell anyone who has a 511, 449, and Terra. BUY PARTS NOW
    I did hear there is plenty of room at the old factory at Odeshog Swedan. If Electrolux didn't give the license to use the name Husqvarna and wanted to get back in the bike business we could only wish......
  10. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Could be that Husky get's full ownership rights of the 449 & 511 platforms & possibly move full production of the motor to the Italian production facility. Not a hard thing to do & would makes sense.
    BMW has no further interest in true offroad bikes, why would they keep the rights to it?
    ray_ray likes this.
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i agree 100% ruffus but ive yet to read something to that affect, matter of fact, everything ive read is to the contrary. the way BMW words it? cant wash their hands fast enough. they made no consideration for the client. its damaging and sets them up for a slam dunk. if i owned/sold a TE or TC and i read that? id freak.
  12. SHY UK Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes please
    Look me up next time you're in town and we'll discuss the matter in further detail, over tea.
  13. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    I guess that's why KTM took the first 5 places at Dakar and Husky couldn't do better than 10 th.
  14. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

If BMW kept the rights to the 449 & 511, they'd basically have many newer Husky owners by the short & curly's. I can't see someone of SP's caliber letting that be the case.
  15. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think that was more of a matter of rider ability as opposed to bike ability. The Speedbrain bikes sure did look to be the fastest. All they needed was rider consistency. I think they got at least as many stage win's, if not more than KTM.
    WoodsChick and S-1 like this.
  16. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 449/511 is gone regardless if BMW owned it or not. The "new" bike to be announced is a new 450 with a Husqvarna designed engine. I am sure that the new owner will keep the X-lite bikes going for another yr or 2 until they can redesign it.

I have no reason to think that the 650 BMW powered bikes will be in the Husq lineup for 2014. I wouldnt be surprised to see them in BMW showrooms though. They are parts bin bikes made out of old stock BMW parts. Sorry, but that is fact.
    boisedave likes this.
  17. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Is the framer geometry the same as ktm?
  18. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

not really.

r
  19. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    then he needs to step up, right fking now, and counter BMW's hand-washing of the brand. and tell the dealers and it's clientel and reassure us all in no uncertain terms there WILL be parts and warty's will be honored.

BMW made a pretty big Brand damaging statement and i know of no less than several people that are pretty gdamn pissed off about it.
  20. S-1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450 2010 + TC250R 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bella Italia all the way!
    Hi - great to see how emo everyone gets over this takeover - husqvists love their bikes despite/because the italian temperament - the brand has heritage and great potential, just needs an owner with a vision and to me herr diplom ingenieur Stefan Pierer is the right man for the job - probab the reason for 100 guests watching over our shoulders - one can only hope Stefan refrains from putting HVA bread toasters in the accessories list, lets keep mickeymouse marketing for the orange loving dirtbikers, ok?
    JonXX and BILLF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.