KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think your all missing the point on why Stefan Pierer purchased Husqvarna. Think about it, WB 165!! I blame Wallybean
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I don't think that this is really that big of a deal.

When Cagiva owned Husky, I bought parts for my 2006 (pre-BMW) TE 610 from Halls and Motoxotica. After BMW bought Husky, I bought my parts from... Halls and Motoxotica. Nothing changed. With a new set of owners, the same thing is going to happen again. I'm just going to keep calling Dan at Motoxotica, and he's going to keep selling me parts.

Now, it probably sucks a little bit for them, because they probably have to change a bunch of their paperwork and maybe computer systems, but it's not the end of the world.

The sky is not falling, guys. This happens all the time. Auto companies (Chrysler, Jag, Volvo, etc, etc) are constantly changing high level ownership. Parts don't mysteriously disappear or become unavailable.

I would be much more concerned with what the Husky lineup is going to look like in 2-4 years, than getting parts for current models.

Can't do what? What are they doing that is illegal? Is this any different than when Cagiva sold Husky?

I've never been a big fan of BMW as a motorcycle company, but this doesn't really change my opinion of them. Business is business.
    Ruffus, Grandia and BILLF like this.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Why make a post on an internet forum and then not bother to try to explain it when someone can't understand what you're trying to say?
  4. SHY UK Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes please
    "... example is, Volkswagen and Audi. They are not in the same space, Audi is one step above Volkswagen." Rajiv Bajaj
    Clearly not - VW own Audi.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    its a huge deal. esp if you own a TE/TC and the maker says no more parts after deal signing.

how are we supposed to take that? try calling BMW for an explanation? right.

they cant do what they are saying...no more parts after signing. if they have parts? they have to have them avail for wrty repairs and retail customers and they HAVE to supply them to Husky for same. just because you sell your interest in a brand you built does not mean you have no product liablity.
    4eyes likes this.
  6. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    Same thing here.

BMW and Husky supply is completely seperated, including different importers.
  7. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    The liabilities are probably part of the deal.
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Why don't we welcome Stefan Pierer on board. We should be welcoming his acquisition.

Think we would gain more ground with some positive imput to get the brand back.

How about we create a new index on front page of Cafe Husky? Pierre AG/HVA?

Then have sections that we can place ideas in to request things/ideas to build the brands:

2 stroke ( minis, 200, DI, electric start, map switches, etc....) just ideas.

4 stroke

Dual sport

Supermoto

Racing

Accessories

Contingency

Just some thoughts.
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    my point was lost. nevermind.
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    BMW doesnt make the big singles anyway...they buy them. Rotax/Kymco may or may not be allowed to sell to others....hard to know what the contracts say, but since BMW helped develop the engines then they probably have exclusive contracts.
  11. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Why would KTM buy Husqvarna when they at the same time dumped Husaberg new engine because they wanted to avoid financial trouble in the future? So it doesn’t make any sense that the company KTM would be interested in buying Husqvarna.

I wonder what Stefan Pierer plan is? Maybe he is going to unite himself whit the Husaberg engineers and start a new R&D division for Husqvarna in Sweden? Just an idea…

And there is no R&D work anymore at Husaberg because the new bikes are just blue KTM:s. The only thing Husaberg does in Sweden now days is taking care of the Husaberg works team. That’s the only thing the engineers are doing right now. And if I would be an engineer, I would find that frustrating to just be downgraded to a mechanic
    Big and Husky and photoguy_43420 like this.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Husky riders won quite a few stages. We'd all like to see Husky win, but they did reasonably well. It only takes one bad day to screw up your chance at winning Dakar, just ask Robbie Gordon about that.
    Big and Husky likes this.
  13. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And Toyota owns Lexus, which is one step above them. It's their "Cadillac" brand.
    Big and Husky likes this.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I for one would like to see Fred Andrews run a 450 Gncc team and Ty Davis with a team out west again/enduro cross team.
  15. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    BMW did NOT say that. Some website speculated about that. And it's total bullshit. Parts will flow. It's legally required.
    typeone and dave lindsey like this.
  16. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Once upon a time I worked on mergers & acquisition financing. You can be sure that there is a pile of documents a foot high laying out who gets what, who is responsible for what, how parts supplies will be handled and everything down to to proper color of socks for the lawyers to wear (maybe not that last one). Each country where they do business will have particular issues to address as the US distribution and mgmt are not the same as for Australia or Mozambique or France.

Even after all that planning and documentation the facts on the ground over the next several months will dictate adjustments to the plan and tactical changes.

I own 2 Kymco/BMW/Husqvarnas and a 310 x-lite ... yesterday I could buy oil filters for the 449 at a BMW store and filters for the xlite from a variety of places. When Bill tells me he is having problems getting parts then I might adjust my plans, but meanwhile Im going to enjoy what I got. Its not like dirt bikes have any residual value anyway so take care of your bike and use it as intended. My 1951 Oldsmobile didnt become useless just because GM killed off the brand 50 years later...I have no problem keeping it roadworthy to this day.

While this is entertaining, we dont really know the details, and in fact they havent yet completed writing documents (financiers and lawyers love these deals).
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Me too! :cheers:
    Correct! Let's see what the plans are.

I can see some of you are quite excited, please continue to be respectful as you have been - though I can tell some are close to not doing that.
  18. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interview Manfred Grunert BMW Motorrad about Husqvarna
    Thursday, January 31, 2013

(web translation)
    Today Nieuwsmotor.nl talked with Manfred Grunert, Head of Product Communications BMW Motorrad. "I can now announce that BMW Group indeed will sell Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG for an undisclosed sum. This is subject to approval by the competition authorities, we expect that within a month can be completed. Due of the enormous drop in the offroad market, BMW has decided to focus purely on BMW Motorrad, so onroadmodellen of over 600cc. never say never, but in the short term, BMW will therefore not return in the offroad segment.

The new owner will be responsible for the service of the sold Husqvarna's. At the moment he takes over the brand will immediately cease all involvement of BMW, which also applies to supply engines and parts for current models. All "expat" employees from Germany at BMW are still on the payroll and will therefore return to BMW. The employees of Husqvarna'll just stay in service.

We do not feel this as a loss of face but as a logical decision after the collapse of the offroad market. I know the circumstances under which other major engine manufacturers withdrew from an Italian company, but for us this is not an issue. Your remark that this is very costly for BMW I can not answer, as you know we do not talk about the sums of money. "

BS, really? hows a new owner supposed to relate to the above in red and hows it not damaging to the H brand?

i know it's a legal requirement, my point all along. and i cant find anything to the contrary. you?

all ears.
  19. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    How come they get to keep the price secret? Would that mean none of the entities are publicly traded with annual reports?

At least the Husqvarna chainsaw folks are doing the buying up not getting bought out. It isn't the direct injection some folks want but they have auto tume now.

Fran
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:

I believe you answered your own question...private companies, not public trading rules to satisfy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.