My EJK chronicle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by V8Astro, Jul 23, 2014.

1. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    V8Astro,

I just bought a Wiseco Fuel Controller -- it's also made by Dobeck and I'm sure it's identical to your EJK. On the box mine says, "Optional closed-loop (self tuning) operation with addition of O2 sensor." This would imply that it's OK to leave the O2 sensor connected. The manual itself doesn't make any comment regarding an O2 sensor.
  2. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Do you have a part number for the Wiseco unit?
  3. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

I wanted to know the same, I started searching around and I think with the assumption that the EJK is for the 2001-2004 F650 single spark, that this is the correct one in the wiseco branding for a 2004 F650

PN: FMC038
    MSRP: $224.95
    ** a 10 second google revealed that amazon has it as a prime item: for $187 but temp out of stock.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=FMC038&ModelID=5556&ModelYear=2004&AppID=46076
  4. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    The Wiseco is #FMC038. I bought mine from Lion Parts their item #105715 via Amazon. The Wiseco is just a rebranded Dobeck for the 2001-2004 BMW F650 which also works as a plug n play for the TR650. So, any Dobeck rebranded unit will work. FMF also uses Dobeck controllers.
  5. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interesting issue with the O2 sensor. If you leave the O2 sensor plugged in eventually the ECU will "tune out" all the fuel added by the EJK/Wiseco/Lexx....

Could you report later once it's installed and you have some seat time?
  6. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Will do a followup when I get some miles on it -- I ride other bikes so others that are posting on the other EJK thread will probably rack up the needed miles for a proper evaluation first.
  7. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Last week I tried settings 4.5 - 3 - .5 - 1 - 4 - 4.5. The engine did NOT like the lowered idle-fuel setting. The idle became "unstable" and noisy again.

All day Saturday I used settings 6.5 - 3 - .5 - 1 - 3 - 4.5. Green/Idle fuel setting 6.5 is where I started and what others have recommended. Now that I have the Yellow/Cruise fuel set close I think that's a better combination.
    mag00 likes this.
  8. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    This is pretty much what I've end up having. The only difference is the red zone trigger, which is still set to 3. Bike is running as good as it gets. The only so-called issue I'm having is with cold start in high humidity, generally right after dusk, but at 6.5 green is much less of an issue.
    mag00 and V8Astro like this.
  9. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I tested the red zone trigger at 4.5, and I have to say that I did not particularly like it. Instead I went down to 2 and I liked the bike even more than before. I think the critical adjustment is the passage from green and yellow (and back), while red should be kept as stock as possible.
  10. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Agreed. I think you hit the nail on the head. The more I learn about EJK the more I like it.

I rode to work today. I will try "red/blue" set to 2 on the way home. My understanding is that this will "shorten" the yellow zone so the ECU will go to stock fueling quicker at WOT.

I should note that the idle/green setting of 6.5 produced a nice exhaust smell on a cold start. I know...not very scientific but I've had enough tune-time to know when I'm getting close with ole nose-o-meter.
  11. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

Mine arrived in the mail today. Hopefully I can sneak out to the garage and install it tonight. I'll start with this setting as my base line and adjust from there and assuming I can install tonight, I'll share my initial thoughts tomorrow. And throw in my 2 cents on tuning over the next few weeks. :thumbsup:
    V8Astro and mag00 like this.
  12. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    While I was on a 1400 mile trip with my Tenere' I read the last few posts suggesting some different settings -- before I'd left I was using 5.5/3/.05/1/4/4.5 on the Terra with poor results. I continued to have stalling off the line and the responsiveness transitioning from mid to high range throttle openings had quite a bit of lag. I input the new suggested settings of 6.5/3/0.5/1/3/2 today. It has dramatically improved the engine response. Hasn't stalled yet off the line, although the idle still hunts a bit, and it seems to accelerate smoothly through the rpm band. Thanks to Wferrari and V8Astro for the posts -- Ironically, the Terra now runs as good as my Strada with a Wuka King. I guess time will tell if these two different solutions are edited out by the ECU. If so, there's always the ECU reset and/or the AF-XIED alternatives.
    V8Astro likes this.
  13. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interesting results. On my bike I found the difference between green 5.5 and 6.5 to be very slight. I got my bike from Halls Cycles so I can say with certainty that my bike has the latest Moss update. I wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe, maybe not.

Thanks for posting your results :thumbsup:
  14. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I should have mine Saturday. I am jumping on the band wagon. Does anyone have the pod mod while running the EJK?
  15. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I don't have the podmod, but I've installed the foam filter by Unifilter, which let pass a little more air than stock.
  16. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I got my EJK today and I have it installed. A card was included with my EJK. It is for a rental of an AFR guage from Dobeck Performance. They are advertising a web site at www.SAFRtool.com. It indicates one week rental of 46.00 for one week and includes shipping both ways.
    V8Astro and Quirky like this.
  17. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My bikes is pod modded and de-catted
  18. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    As long as the O2 sensor is unplugged the bike cannot do a work around and detune the bike.
  19. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Anyone that has not removed the kitty should not remove the O2 sensor. The kitty could clog and be very unhappy.
  20. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    There's always that chance, indeed.
    But your remark also made me wonder... If you remove the cats, will it take the O2 sensor longer to get to standard operating temperature? Usually they have an internal heating element, but it also gets the heat from the exhaust. Without the cats the exhaust will also run cooler.
    PaulC and Quirky like this.