*** New Dates! *** Spring Fling Husky Ride, Stonyford, CA, May 13,14,15

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The next day Mother nature decided it was time for some rain.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I really like how this one came out..
    [IMG]
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I updated post #2 to show pictures of the group campground when entering the valley.
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Conditions were great and there were hardly any other riders there!

Yeah, that part wasn't so great. We rode for quite awhile afterwards. I'm glad I decided to not head straight back to camp. My whole eye socket hurts, my neck is sore, I've got a massive headache and my eye is shading up rather nicely. Great...

Is she going down HWY 5? Have her drop you off in Maxwell and we'll come get you [IMG] I'm only half-kidding, ya know. Eric is going to be really disappointed when I tell him you won't be making it; he was looking forward to seeing you again.
    Now, see, if you'd bought the TE instead of the TXC you could've ridden it down here!
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, family comes first, for sure. Bummed you can''t make it, but our door is always open to you! Anytime you want to come down and ride just let us know.

There is a ton of stuff you can ride there! Eric and I have done lots of miles 2-up on my SV with street tires. There was even snow on the ground and Letts Lake was frozen solid! I've ridden my SV all over there by myself with no issues whatsoever. It's a beautiful place with lots of wonderful views in every direction. There is truly something for everyone there. Dean can show you a ton of fun stuff that would be perfect for your skill level. As for your bike being too high for you, well...I can relate. I'm 5'1" and I'm willing to bet my WR was as tall (if not taller) that your TE310. I rode Dan's TE310 and it felt like mine did before I lowered it 1". Have you set your sag yet? You can always back off the preload until you get a little more used to riding a real dirt bike. If you run 280 and aren't getting it to compress enough so you can get on it comfortably I would highly recommend getting the suspension re-valved and/or resprung. There's no shame in getting it lowered at the same time, too. Being comfortable will increase your confidence, and increased confidence will lead to increased skill. The more you know the more fun you can have [IMG] I can show you some tricks, too, for riding a bike that's way too tall for you [IMG]

I can't believe you haven't been there in 20 years!! [IMG] You're so close! It really hasn't changed that much since I first went there 23 years ago. The infrastructure has changed, and the trees all burnt down in the camping areas, but the trails are pretty much the same. Can't wait to see you!
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    There seems to be no gory details as to how you came to be mugged face first out on the trail in your write up.[IMG] Inquiring minds want to know.
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Well, I've heard the trails up there are much more difficult than in the SVRAs. Which means, I should stick to the fire roads and the greens. I'm figuring the blues are like blacks at Hollister. I'm almost there, but not yet. There's not a whole lot of greens (was just checking the trail map). But I think there might be enough to keep me busy. Does the ranger station usually stock maps?
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes the ranger station which is right on the way has maps.

The level of difficulty cannot be compared between Hollister and Stonyford. The easy blue trails at Stony are easier than some of the green trails at Hollister because the trails are in better condition. In addition some of the green trails at Stony (notably Potato Hill) are harder than the blue trails at Stony because they are in such bad condition.

Just bring you bike with a plate and you can go around all the rough stuff :)
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    They all have plates: F800GS, TE610e, TE310. [IMG]
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I recommend the 2011 TE310. And if that is too much power you can ride my TE250 and I can ride your new bike :D
    MuddyMan likes this.
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Who said it happened out on the trail? Eric was giving me a little lip and I had to show him who was boss, and, well...he's 6' tall and bigger than me, so... [IMG]

No, I came around on a tight corner and there was a madrone branch sticking out and it got me full-on in the face. Almost knocked me off the bike. My bell got rung pretty good. I pulled up to Eric and he knew right away what had happened.
    He said, "Oh, that doesn't look good! Did that branch get you, too?" And in the next breath he said he wanted to get a photo [IMG] I just love that guy, for some reason [IMG]

On a related note, I got slammed pretty hard in the biceps last time I was there by a branch sticking out on the trail. It got me on both arms, coming and going...felt like I'd been shot! It looked like an abusive husband had been shaking me back and forth or something. Anyway, this weekend we were on the same trail and I was thinking about that damn branch and I knew it was coming up and I was prepared and I still managed to let it get me again[IMG] We're probabably going back next weekend (you know, just to scout it out, of course [IMG]) and we're going to hack that sucker off with Eric's trail saw.
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG] That was smooth, Dean!
    Coffee likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I got harpooned good a few times at Clear Creek. The plants up here are limp and water logged, I found out quick the ones down there are made of rebar and to avoid at all costs.

Have a great time.
  13. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    As if I wouldn't bring the new bike. As if you could trick me into not riding it! [IMG]
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I always have a little folding saw tucked into my toolpack, so that when I get whacked by some offensive tree limb or branch I can get revenge on it immediately and make the trail safe for myself and others.[IMG]
  15. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

i was near stonyford sunday afternoon riding and it started to sleet at about 2500 foot level.was not too pleasant at that time.any one know if it snowed at the higher elevations?some of the creeks were moving along at a good clip.i did have the sense not to cross bartlett creek as i remember a friend almost losing his bike in the current.we need some dry days badly!dan
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It was snowing at 5000+ feet on Saturday, and it was raining in the fouts springs campground on Sunday. Woods chick and company went above the clouds on Sunday (I believe)... so it may not have been snowing higher up.
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Eric and I went up about as high as we could go...about 5000'...and we never saw any snow falling. I thought I saw a few flurries but it really didn't feel cold enough to snow, especially on Sunday. We got rained on a bit on Sunday but no snow. We were up on top of the ridge on 28 before dropping down into Wolf Creek and nothing but good conditions on that side. We rode 22, 21 and they were perfect, if a little wet. 20 had some snow that I didn't feel like riding through on the westernmost portion of the trail...this was on 20 where we turned around...
    P1040020.JPG

The snow level seems to be at about 4500' to 5000', but it's just patches here and there that are hard to get through. The photo I posted of me walking my bike through the drift was taken above M10 onTrail 6. As you can see, it isn't a solid blanket of snow. As long as this latest storm doesn't exceed expectations we should maybe be ok. According to the NOAA site the snow level is supposed to reach 3800' on Thursday but "with little to no snow accumulation expected" and then slight chance of precipitation (but no snow) starting Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues. Hopefully it'll warm up and that stuff will go away.
  18. SFTE450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Woodschick -

I definately plan on joining, weather permitting. I have a couple of friends that may want to join as well if thats ok.
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    TE511 .. Eugene to Stonyford. Can you say monkeybutt? Engine is smooth, but the seat is pretty narrow.

If I let her drop me off I would be stuck there all week.... hmmm that doesnt sound so bad (oh wait I have to work)

Any ideas that Kelly and I are conspiring to keep people from riding our 511s are completely unfounded.

I had half a thought that a 250 would be a good stablemate to the 511, maybe Eric would like to swap engines [IMG]
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Of course it's ok! Plenty of room for everyone! You need to let them know, though, that they're going to get pummeled by major Huskyness while there [IMG]