PC V with Auto Tune = Holy Grail. for the 2008 & 2009 Husqvarna EFI bikes

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Coffee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    We did not specifically test the switch inputs although that would be a great idea.

There are 2 maps. Base map and trim map. There can be a switch connected to the PC V that, as far as I know, disables the trim map and the bike then only runs on the base map. Any switch at all would work... nothing special.

You could ride over to a laptop computer, plug it in, and disable the auto tune in software as well and that does indeed leave the bike running on the base map only.

One example of the usefulness of the switch as Dynojet has posted is to switch between a 'good mpg' base map, and a 'good performance' map. Tune up the bike with a good afr setting for mileage then accept the trim map (which merges the trim map into the base map) then tune the bike up for an afr setting for good power - then you could switch between the 2 modes.

I fully realize that the more learned about these types of things, the more 'what if' questions will be brought up. I simply wanted to get the basic operation of a PC V with auto tune working on some 2009 bikes, and of course on at least 1 2008 bike... this will be a long journey.
  2. hipsterdufus Husqvarna
    A Class

im betting the computer would shut the autotune off on its own if it did have to go to basemap mode. the dynojet guy posted earlier that if the sensor got shorted out in water it would go back to the basemap.

makes sense, i'll pass on the switch for now, i'll use the sicass racing ktm map switch if i do go for it.

thx
  3. ah_huat Husqvarna
    AA Class

ibeat II. Yes there were all sorts of adjustments made, we were testing. Again, during the video the bike was running terrible for a variety of reasons - we were testing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Coffee. i have try my bike with Ibeat v.1 and once i have set the TPS and set all FB to 100% went for a test ride the bike seem to have problem with the the throttle sensor as it cannot maintain the RPM @ 1/4 throttle.

Matthew
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Gentlemen and Coffee in particular. The above writings are astounding and to say the least are right over my head. As a carburetted husky owner (06 TE 450) I feel relieved that I am only occasionally cleaning our a carby as part of a maintenance schedule. Am I right in assuming that out of the box and frequently out from the dealers the FI huskies have injection issues and that a lot of post purchase work is required. Am I also correct in thinking that the purchase really needs the additional funding of soft ware. Is the consensus that the FI is not really reliable, robust, maintenace free or am I getting nervous about rare occurances that none the less seem to predominate current threads.

Ciao

GHTE
  5. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Can't say what the percentages are (Coffee no doubt has a much better idea than me) but obviously some people do have problems. However, worth bearing in mind that those of us who are happy with our FI may not feel the need to keep posting to say that it's working well, has had no adjustments whatsoever since new and hasn't required the purchase of iBeat, a Power Commander, or anything else so far! As ever, it's those with problems who are most likely to post seeking advice so inevitably that's what you get to see and that may make it look worse than it is.

Come to think of it, I don't take much notice as they aren't relevant to me but ISTR seeing quite a few posts about carbed bikes not running right and looking for advice on jetting, (including coping with altitude changes which probably wouldn't bother FI) but I don't take that as an indication that carbs are generally unreliable, need lots of maintenance or only work at one altitude.

Luckily for those who do have FI problems, we have a great resource right here to help sort them out. :thumbsup:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    excellent post and right on point IMHO.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I think you are a little over nervous... and yes people tend to put up things when they have trouble as opposed to when they are happy... and there is always the 'me too' mentality on forums - people see something posted and they tend to add to the topic, sometimes to a point of creating the appearance of a major issue where there is none.

8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    PC V with Auto Tune does everything. It does not care about what year the bike is, exhaust... or even ibeat settings based on preliminary experiments. Excellent solution for people that live far away from their dealer.

If I bought a new bike it would be a TE EFI with a PC V & Auto Tune. And I really do not like spending money.... at all.
  9. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

I agree, I think most people are happy with the EFI, myself included. I have an '08 SMR450 and the thing flat rips and I would have no reason to fiddle with it except now I've read here that it could potentially be even better if I bought the PC V with autotune. I think lots of people that talk about adjusting the FI maps are people who like to tinker and try to get as close to perfect as possible. There are some bikes that don't run well but I suspect that has more to do with running them in stock trim and not de-restriced as they need to be to run right in my opinion. My carbed TC250 had way more jetting issues when new than my FI SMR did for what it's worth. With all of the crud in the gas tanks when new I had to tear the carb apart a couple of times to get it cleaned up and working right.

I think some people tend to fear change and want to stick to what they know (carbs and brass) and see the FI as a bit misterious since it is all electronic. As the knowledge base develops, the fear of FI will subside and we will see that it is the better option. Not many manufactures of any motorized vehicle I can think of are using carbs these days so one would have to assume there are more benefits to FI compared to carbs. Coffee and friends have done a tremendous amount of research and testing on the new FI bikes and I think as he mentioned, if you have a bike that isn't running right, worst case is to buy the PC V and autotune and you should be good to go. In theory, if you have a good dealers, they should be able to make it work with the ibeat but for those without a dealer, the PC V is a great plug and play fix.
  10. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I think the next experiment I would like to try is to use the pc v w/autotune to find an ideal ibeat setting for those that don't have a pc. I realize each bike is different but it will at least give us a starting point.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great idea! Adjust the ibeat FB1 setting for minimum adjustments needed for the PC V in the open loop configuration.

Very applicable!
  12. MChammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Amen to that....when things are going good you stop posting. So here's a question since I'm thinking ahead. My TE 250/300 has the PCIII and as far as I'm concerned, couldn't run any better, but here's where my cynicism comes in....how durable are these Dynojet's, and if/when they do go south, has anyone had any experience with the symptoms?

I haven't swamped it yet, but since it's a miniature computer, I'm assuming submerging it will totally fry it, or at best, cause malfunctions until it dries out (like our turnsignals).

Since it's spliced into the original ECU, is there a chance it could totally wipe out the whole bike, or will it most likely just run poorly like the PC isn't there?

Has anyone had any of these experiences / if not, what's the worste you've done to your PC and still had it run correctly.

Lastly, what clever precautionary measures are you taking to help avoid any short-outs? Mine's just sitting there under my rubber battery hold-down strap in a pretty vaulnerable-looking position.
  13. Woodsknight Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey guys,, 1-Whats the difference between the actual Husky software designed to work with the FI bikes (and is there different software for each bike or is it all the same and can work on all Husky's)
    2- What is the PC v Autotune? and how much is it?
    3- What is Ibeat? and how much is it
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    How durable is the stock ecu? I that goes, or any other major component on a bike it will not run. With specific regards to the Power Commander III / V I really do not know, but after working with them for days and having background in electronics I certainly have no reservations in using their products from a reliability standpoint.

1-I think you are referring to the ecu software. Even the bikes with carbs had those. With the efi bikes not only are there several different ecu versions - TE250/310/450/510/610, SM450/510/610, those also come in early 2008, late 2008, 2009. Each one is programmed with the vin number of the bike.
    2-http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/default.aspx, A device that goes between the injector and the ecu that adds/subtracts pulse width to the injector based on a loaded map inside. Auto Tune is a little box that creates the maps for the PC V. You can look up the price.
    3-ibeat is a diagnostic piece of software & cable. The software runs on a personal computer e.g. laptop. A cable from that computer goes to a connector behind the headlight on the bike. Diagnostic codes can be read and some basic tune up parameters can be set. That product is 'expensive' $700 to over $1000 I think. There is an iBeat I and an iBeat II (which is newer and more expensive), that is actually a complicated question at the moment.

If I made a mistake in the above I do apologize, but thought I should type something.

This is an incredibly advanced thread, it would be good to keep the basic questions in the future in other threads as to not dilute this one. I'd rather keep this thread open though.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    iBeat & PC users please read this post

More experiments were done last night, I added this to post #1:
    PC map changes also alter the AFR in the same fashion: going -10% on a map value will make the AFR 1.0 (ish) leaner e.g. 12.7 -> 13.7

That is an incredibly important piece of information, especially when viewing the map files.

The following only applies to the 2008 bikes, it may apply to the 2009 also, further research would need to be done, you can do that yourselves by downloading the 2009 efi maps and see it the Dynojet created maps are non-linear near 0% throttle at lower rpms
    Of equal (or greater) importance: The rpm ranges are broken up into groups of 250 - 1500, 1750, 2000, 2250.

There is a huge discrepancy between those rpms table values at 0% throttle. The bike runs much leaner at 1500-1750 than at 1750-2000. If the ibeat FB1 value on this bike is set up for perfect operation at an idle speed of 1700 then the rest of the rpm/throttle range will be far too rich on this bike. If the FB1 value is set up for perfect operation for 1850 idle then the rest of the map will be not as rich. This non-linear operation of AFR is further shown on the maps created by Dynojet for the 2008 bikes which you can download from their site.

So if you are tuning up a bike using ibeat you may want to strongly consider setting the idle speed up toward the higher end of the specified range before picking a FB1 number.

Symptoms of having the FB1 value set with the idle speed at the low end of the range would quite probably include flameout at lower speeds, and most certainly low mpg.

Obviously some of this is speculation and would need to be confirmed. The best method of doing that would probably be sharing the PC V maps that were created with the Auto Tune after some period of time... or if I had the resources, which I don't at this time, then I could dig far deeper.

The 2008 TE250 test bike that the PC V and Auto Tune have on it will have some further testing by the owner. Riding in the dirt, possibly an organized ride of some type and probably a map could be shared for education and other purposes. After that the efi work on my end will almost certainly be terminated. I wanted to get the PC V with Auto Tune going on the 2009 bikes, at least 1 2008 early ecu bike, and evaluate the performance of the Auto Tune. The Auto Tune has been shown to eliminate the need for iBeat for tuning purposes, so people that live far away from dealers have some solution if they need tuning, and do not want to buy the expensive iBeat system.

While all that work has been done, this is just the beginning of a long journey.
  16. sidquick Husqvarna
    B Class

you rock!:notworthy: so il be able to bolt on a dyno jet auto tune to my 2009 te250?
    cheers
    sid
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That is correct!
  18. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Hmm, how much of this applies to the 08' TE610? I've been happy with things in the stock configuration but I wouldn't mind a little more power with the ability to toggle maps between performance and efficiency.........
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    After doing all the experiments, driving to Vegas 2x, working with Dynojet directly - if I owned any 2008 or 2009 efi Husqvarna bike I would order the PC V & Auto Tune, and I would be happy spending that money after tuning up the bike.

All PC Vs sold for the 2009 Husqvarnas are physically identical to each other, they only differ in the map installed in them - which will be quickly over written by the Auto Tune when riding.

The 2008 and 2009 bikes are physically the same as far as the PC V & auto tune modules are concerned, a PC V for any of the 2009 bikes will work for all 2008 & 2009s.

Personally I'd just zero out the map cause the Auto Tune will find your happy place, where ever that may be.
  20. husky123 Husqvarna
    A Class

I might just pull the trigger. My '09 510 is running well now but I'm bored.

Any dealers have any 'deals' on the PCV avec auto tune now?:cool: