PC V with Auto Tune = Holy Grail. for the 2008 & 2009 Husqvarna EFI bikes

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Coffee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

to be able to tune the bike correctly it`s a good idea to ensure all factory settings/faults are correct first, only then can you accurately tune/trim........for that you need iBeat. Small inconsistencies will be able to be "feathered" or covered up, but if you can`t read/set the starting point, it may not be as good as it could be.
    And when they are 100%, they are absolute ball tearers
  2. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

When setting up the PC-V + Autotune on a Husky does the Throttle position function work or is that only for certain kinds of bikes?
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Nothing is done to the Throttle Position Sensor. That is a fairly important item to keep. The TPS wire does need to be connected to the PC V.

In addition to the TPS connection and ground, the PC V connects between the injector and harness that used to connect to the injector and adds/subtracts fuel based on a 'map', that map can be made by the Auto Tune which connects to the PC V.
  4. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Both the bike ECU & Power Commander need to accurately know what the throttle position is.

The ECU calculates the required fuel from TPS, manifold pres., RPM, air temp, atmospheric pres., O2 sensor (if installed) and engine temp.

iBeat is used to calibrate the bike ECU 0% (idle) TPS position, Power Commander software is used to calibrate the PCV to know what 0% and 100% is.

PCV makes additional adjustments to the ECU's fuel command based on user editable correction % for a give TPS & RPM. Further adjustment is made based on user editable AFR for a give TPS & RPM if the Auto-tune O2 sensor is installed
  5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can someone post a pic of the TPS wire that needs to be connected to the PC-V
  6. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is what TPS wire near the ECU looks like on a 08 TE450.

I made the tap by removing 1/4" of insulation and soldering on a tap wire, then covering with RTV and tape. The end of the tap wire has a 1/4" blade quick disconnect that mates with the PCV connector.

Attached Files:

7. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Perfect tanks!

The instructions that came w/ my PC-V had me tap into the Orange Wire, not the Orange/Black.
  8. mikezx Husqvarna
    B Class

O YA i just got my PCV and auto tune kit today! i can't wait for Sunday when i can install it! thanks a lot to scott from semcodesigns!
  9. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I didn't like how they have you mount the units to the side numberplate w/ velcro so I made a triangular shaped panel out of a piece of LKydex I had and zipptied the PCV and Autotune in the open area of the frame on the right side of the air filter.

This way all the wiring and the units can be securily and permanently fixed to the bike.

Will post pics when I get a chance.
  10. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is really helpful for those who need to tap in! Good on you man!

11. mikezx Husqvarna
    B Class

i installed my pcv and auto tune kit this morning! hooked it up to the lap top dialed it all in and the bike runs like a beast! i've put 300 hundred miles on it just today! my butt is so soar lol! i do have one question though does anyone know when you set the auto tune for time and temp before it starts, is the temp in Celcius or Fahrenheit? cause that would make a huge difference?
  12. mikezx Husqvarna
    B Class

nevermind about my previous question, i read the instuctions more in depth and it clearly says Fahrenheit! but does anyone know if i have to configure the engine temperature?
  13. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

From the PCV manual...

"Engine temperature
    On Harley models the engine temperature
    will be displayed via the J1850 data. Click
    enabled and the source of J1850.
    For all other models the engine temperature
    can be configured thru the analog input.
    The
    more tables that are configured the more
    accurate your reading will be. Input the voltage
    read at the header pin of the analog
    input in relation to engine temperature."

You will need to tap into the signal wire that is connected to the engine temperature sensor. I'm not sure what the calibration scale is yet.

Attached Files:

14. mikezx Husqvarna
    B Class

ok well keep me updated cause i would like to use this feature. on a side note it would be nice to have a temp gauge for the bike!
  15. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tuning for MPG?

So if I were trying to tune for MPG I assume I would need to figure out the RPM and throttle position at my preferred cruising speed. Then I would pull up the trim charts in the PC-V program and lean out that RPM and throttle position trim. So if that box says -4 it would get changed to -8.

Now if the auto-tune is connected then this is out the window cause it does what it wants anyway and adjusts on the fly.

Is this correct or am I off the wall.

Thanks

Dan
  16. seredyns Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, please post pics of your setup when you have a chance. Also, where do you obtain the "LKydex" material? Thanks.

17. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Typo: it's Kydex. A special plastic used to make knife and gun sheaths.

Any plastic will do, just buy a cheap black plastic office trash can a Wally World and cut it up. Probably cheaper. I just happened to have the Kydex on hand.

Will post pictures in a bit.

Dan
  18. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is how I mounted my PC-V & Autotune. The challange is sorting out all the wiring.

[IMG]

Up close:

[IMG]
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I've been telling auto tune to adjust to 13.7 for best mpg when I did the PC V experiments. Possibly the wrong #, but the general idea was to let auto tune go to a afr that would give good mpg.
  20. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class