PC V with Auto Tune = Holy Grail. for the 2008 & 2009 Husqvarna EFI bikes

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Coffee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    I need a check for that when I put the Power Commander + Autotune box so no need to change any settings, it will begin to provide for themselves right from the start, huh??
    Or is it to put a zero map and adjust or use 2009 model map, bike is a 2010 model
  2. denmcken Husqvarna
    B Class

I just ordered the PCV with Autotune.... I have a bunch of reading to do. Any hints on set-up for an '09 TE610 with an aftermarket exhaust and no other mods??
  3. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Spend some time on Dynojets self help page "Working with Power Commander V". This will help get you familiar with the software.
    http://www.powercommander.com/power...whimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=3_PC5.1.1.html

After you get the hardware installed, connect your PC and start the PCV software. This will enable you to see the real-time data from the throttle sensor, RPM, AFR and injector adjustment %. You should be fine with starting with the base map and auto-tune enabled. The base AFR map is set to 13.2:1 which should give you good power.

Do some test riding in different gears, RPM's, acceleration and deceleration. It will take a while for auto-tune to create a "trim". After it has populated the trim map, you can save a copy with notes, them "accept" the values which will merge the trim values into the base map and reset the trim map to zero. Continue riding and reviewing the new values being crated in the trim map, this will indicate how much further tuning has occurred. Normally the range of change decreases after "accepting" the values each time.
    denmcken and Mik-3 like this.
  4. denmcken Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks Scott,

I ordered from you... Thank you for being a CH sponsor and the help! Nice to see a vendor's REAL support out there! Frigging awesome!

One side question, I work with auto-tuning software at work. (BAS systems, Johnson Controls Metasys), we have had some problems with tuning loops that have "issues" with light loading most of then time, then big loads. Is this an issue with the PCV? I understand it, we have cured it.... mostly, by going to full PID loops, then adjusting the PID numbers. Is the PCV similar... and are the self-tuning numbers available to see? (besides the +/- on the spreadsheet)

Thanks again,
    Dennis
  5. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I haven't seen any issues with auto-tune under light loads.
    The auto-tune control loop slowly makes changes to the trim over extended sample period. I'm not sure the exact time frame.
    The auto-tune calculating parameters are not available to the user other that some + & - %limits of allowable trim. There a some other settings that determine when AT starts after starting.

If you ever have questions that your having trouble getting the answers, call Dynojet. They have great CS and will even call you back if their too busy and you have to leave message.
    denmcken likes this.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The map that comes from dynojet already installed in the pc v should work well enough, but when they test the bikes and create the map - it is for a specific bike with specific iBeat settings.. so if it were me, I would get the autotune module also. But the stock map should be close regardless. (I am assuming that you are buying a PC V specifically for your bike, I have kept up on what is available from them)
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I really do not understand what you are asking..

You can put a zero map in any PC V that will fit your bike and it will do nothing at all. Then if you set things up so the auto tuner is tuning, it will slowly create a map best for your bike - trying to reach the target afr you have given it.

If you are being confused about the time delay - that is the amount of time after the bike is started before the autotune starts to tune. When bikes are cold and first started they need different fueling to run than when they are warm (that is why a choke is provided on bikes with a carb)
  8. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    I am sorry that I did not necessarily know how to write English properly, but now I realize when I read this topic ... Now I know / understand how it PC V +Autotune installed , etc:thumbsup:
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I see. Your English is much better than my Finnish will ever be. :)
    Mik-3 likes this.
  10. jwoelbing Husqvarna
    A Class

What afr are you running and what kind of fuel milage ae you getting? Do you have a 08 450?
  11. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

I just wrapped up install and test ride on my 2010 SMR510. One weird thing that happened is after my first ride I brought it in the garage, hooked it up to the laptop and started the bike. It idled fine at first, then the bike kept leaning out at idle until it would die. It did this a couple more times, then I got a "fail" 1 code, what ever that is. I waited a few seconds, and was able to get it started again. Took the bike out for another ride and it ran great, no issues. Brought it back to the garage, hooked up to laptop, but this time it idled fine. The idle af ratio is about 11 when its warmed. I let it idle until the cooling fan came on with no issues, blasted it around the block, accepted the new trim values and put the bike away.

Any ideas what would make it keep leaning out so much at idle it dies? The autotune isn't supposed to do anything at idle and I verified the TPS reading was in fact zero at idle. The af ratio would keep climbing up to about 16 then it would die. Will the code go away on its own or do I have to find someone with an i-beat to clear the code?

I will say this, there isn't much space to hide things like wiring and power commanders on this bike!
  12. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

When you say the the autotune isn't supposed to do anything at idle, do you mean that you have heard that it shouldn't do anything at idle or do you mean that you have your autotune set so it isn't doing anything at idle? Or asked another what are the AFR target settings on your Autotune for 0% through 10% throttle?
  13. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Autotune instructions tell you to put 0 (Zeros) in the first two colums.
  14. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

From the factory, the autotune is set to 13.2 af mixture and has "0"s in the first two columns, so it shouldn't be adjusting anything there. The only thing I can think of is the bike may have been very low on fuel and it was just running out. I hadn't put much in the bike and took it for a quick 2 mile ride, pretty hard on the gas and the fuel light was on the whole way. When it was idling you could just watch the af meter on the PCV software keep leaning out up over 16 then the motor would die and was hard to start, to the point where it wouldn't start. I did get a "fail" message on the dash when this happened, but the fail message doesn't stay lit on the dash and I got no "blinks" from the neutral light. I added more fuel to the tank and it fired right up. Took it out for another ride, brought it back and let it idle until the cooling fan came on and the idle mix stayed right at about 11. Quite possibly the bike was just running out of fuel. Would this show up as a leaning out on the AF gauge? I guess it makes sense, if the bike is starving for fuel, it is in effect leaning out to where it dies from fuel starvation. I didn't take my fuel pump out and zip tie it when I had the gas tank off and now I wish I would have. The thought of spilling fuel everywhere to r&r the tank again isn't appealing.
  15. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't forget that you can still make manually entered fuel adjustment values in the base map cells. Adjustments of base map cells that have corrisponding zero's in the AFR map cells, there will be NO auto tune adjustment.

I had to adjust the base map cells on my 08 TE450 in the 0% & 2% columns to get the idle AFR correct.
  16. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Yeah, I did this too. Mine was idling at 10-11 which is way rich. I minuses out 17% fuel and brought the idle mix right to 13.2-13.4. Everything seems to be working great now. I actually think my "issue" was the bike was running out of fuel, which showed itself as a lean condition before the engine would die.
  17. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

With PCIII's I've had on other sportbikes I could set the TPS on the power commander with the ignition on but the motor off. I've noticed on my Husky I get no values for TPS unless the engine is actually running. How have you guys re-set the TPS on the PCV on your bikes? Is it ok to crack it to full throttle under no load while running to set the max TPS value?
  18. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The problem with not not being able to read TPS with the bike not running is caused by the ECU shutting off the the DC power reply to the injector, ignition coil & fuel pump if the bike is not started. This is why you hear the fuel pump run and then shut after about 3 seconds. The Power Commander gets power from the 12v side of the injector circuit.
  19. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes, and with the PCIII you could power it from the external 9V battery for TPS calibration with the engine off. I think the idle calibration is most important and really should be done with the engine running anyway. It's been a long time so I don't remember exactly which buttons to hit, but you can calibrate the TPS either by the automatic method where you go from idle to full throttle and back to idle, or by selecting which endpoint to calibrate and setting just that one. I used the automatic way and didn't hold full throttle very long at all, then refined just the closed throttle setpoint with more care and never messed with the full throttle setpoint again.
  20. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is the latest in my PC saga. So I connect the laptop into the PC-V & Autotune on my 2010 Husky TE-510 to have a look at the latest trim levels the autotune has generated and make sure everything is OK. The bike has been running fairly well, but I like to see what is going on.

Once connected and the bike is running I have a look at my instant AFR and it is locked in at 9.99 and does not fluctuate at all as is typical. Note that I have 13.2 dialed in as the target AFR. Even when I blip the throttle the PC is locked in at 9.99

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks Dan