PNW Husky event. Bend, OR. Oct. 15-16, 2010

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by PC., Aug 9, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Our guys came out fairly well, considering. There is some frightening helmet-cam footage from one of the head-ons. Some of the trails are incredibly fast...like, looking for 7th gear fast...and the only surprising thing is it only happened twice. Nobody's fault, just the way it is.

WoodsChick
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well that was interesting for sure. First off great to meet a bunch of you and put faces to the screen names. I have NEVER seen it that busy there. Then again I usually ride there on week days have have it all to myself. It was also quite silty. When it rains there it is EPIC. So it was busy and conditions were kinda crap but met some great people and had a good time.

Sat we went out for a second loop after doing a 50 miler. We were about 10 miles out and I head on a dude on a YZF450, were we both moving pretty good. He was on a down hill straight into a left corner i was on the uphill straight into the same corner which was a right for me. Never saw him, well for a split second. We were both doing probably 25mph and stopped instantly. I got VERY lucky, he did not do so well. i thought I had broke my wrist and initially knocked the wind out of me. I was wandering around in the woods near the crash trying to figure out what just happened when i could here the other guys gurgling blood and asking for help, i was disoriented and thought i had a broken wrist. I managed to wander over and attempt to get both bikes off him. One handed and was not having a lot of luck. His buddies pulled up then and helped. He blew his helmet off and it was 20 feet away!!! blood everywhere. might have broke his nose but most the blood was from a gash on the bridge of his nose. His eye was almost swollen shut on the left side. We said little, rolled around in pain while other tried to get our bike ridable. they took off to get him to the hospital and my buddies had shown up. My bike was mangled. Number plate exploded as did the skid plate. Pipe was ripped clean off and out of the head and mangled, forks were pointing 45 degrees. My wrist looked broken and the bones looks moved around but it turned out was just instant swelling from racking my arm across something. My left ribs, shoulder, hand and wrist took a beating and i feel ran over by a truck but amazingly just flesh wounds. Pretty stiff and sore. To get my bike back to the camp we needed to do a bunch of work. the forks were straightened as much as possible. One side the pinch bolts can't even be loosened as the lower foot is mangled into the bolt. the pipe we worked on for about half an hour before i had the brilliant idea of removing the hand guard and throttle so we could use the bar end in the head pipe to bent it around. That and some zip ties to hold the pipe on (mounts broken) and we were off.

I feel VERY lucky i did not go home in the meat wagon, it was a hard and LOUD hit and stopped us both instantly. Luckily Brandon saw the dude i hit in the hospital and said he was Ok and they released him.

I saw a vid of Brandons wreck, it was the same trail and looked almost exactly as the half second of my wreck i remember. head on in a blind corner, loud smack and people / stuff everywhere, not fun.

At buddy Adams nagging i did do a 60 mile DS loop Sunday up to Pine MT observatory and looked down over the area and camp grounds.

Shoulder is hard to lift over 90 degrees , wrist is black and blue and swollen, ribs on the left side hurt and might have stretched or tore something in my right groin as it is semi painful to lift that leg.

Overall it was a fun weekend, got to meet a bunch of cool people and had a good ride avoiding a trip to the hospital. Wooohooo.

Thanks all for showing up, hope you had a good time.

I have a few pix i will post later.

- Kelly
  3. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Even if you are very careful, it only takes one moment of inattention combined with the bad luck to have someone else coming the other way.

Many of the trails there have good sightlines, but in some spots views are completely blocked by small saplings in places where you could be going 30mph or more around a sweeping corner. I really crawled around the blind corners.

Anyway, I hope brandon is doing OK. It must be incredibly frustrating to get hurt again so soon.

I ended up with a compound femur fracture a few years ago in a head-on at winom-frazier (similar trails to bend), so I am now exceedingly careful when I can't see well. Tresa and I tried to get up early and find the trails with decent sightlines to ride hard early in the day, then mellow out and be more careful as everyone else got going when it warmed up.
  4. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Yikes. :eek:

At that speed, you both could have been killed. Sobering thought. Glad it wasn't more serious. If you die in a crash, I would at least like it to happen when I owe you money for bike parts. :cheers:
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll try to accommodate. :lol:
  6. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1. That is some frightening stuff. I'm glad you were able to look past a broken bike and enjoy the rest of your weekend. I don't know if I would have been in a great frame of mind after that.

I hope to make the next event -- maybe everyone should come out to Idaho..... :cheers:
  7. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It certainly could have been much worse. I have had my share of close calls there, once with a county Sheriff on a quad near the two wrecks this past weekend. During the week riding there is much more enjoyable.

Great to meet everyone!:thumbsup:
  8. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Then instead of head-ons, we'll only have to worry about drownings and pulling bikes back onto the trail with ropes.
  9. mac37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

125's are just so much fun! I rode Kelly's bike before the crash and the extra low end of the 144 is nice and the bike is set up perfectly. The steering stabilizer works great.

Kelly's bike post crash.
    [IMG]

My great running 125 (after some jetting changes)
    [IMG]

Fun riding with Kelly, Ken, and Adam. Now on to GPNF before the snow!
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet there were 15 plus 125/144's there this weekend. :cheers:
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, and I only got a photo of one of `em :thumbsdown:

I was too busy socializing to take photos, and I'm kind of upset about that after the fact :(

WoodsChick
  12. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I'm okay. Thanks for the concern!
    rpmguy is where my concern lies as he's much worse off than I am.

For those with morbid curiosity....
    my rt arm Sunday morning: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/BrandonV/IMG_4351.jpg
    And this morning: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/BrandonV/IMG_4361.jpg

After watching the helmet cam footage I found out that I managed to hit the rear brake a split second before impact and get my bike turned slightly left, so it was not a 100% head on. Had our helmets collided things would have been much worse.

I'm done with the high speed stuff!
  13. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    If you guys keep getting hurt, I'll have to send you up my old fork protectors for you to use as splints!

Glad you guys aren't worse off!

Sure looks like you had fun and beautiful place to ride!
  14. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

I did the same thing when I got hit at winom-frazier, except i turned slightly right, and took the impact on my left leg. The other rider musta been going 35-ish and didn't slow down at all. If we had hit head to head or torso to torso, it could have been even uglier.

Here's how I deal with it:

1. we ride alot of fairly extreme technical terrain, where you can't go fast enough to have a head-on (this is easier in idaho than in most other places).

2. I go fast when someone else leads. I let a gap open, then ride as hard as I can to close it. I make sure the lead rider knows to STOP oncoming traffic and have a chat with them until the rest of us catch up.

3. I go fast where I can see. There are alot of trails at bend where vision is good, esp on a dusty day where you can see the plume for miles. When I can't see, I go slow. really slow. annoyingly slow. it drives tresa crazy following me, but a crazy girlfriend is better than going to the hospital.

4. I enter races to get my speed thrill.

btw... yer arm looks fine. only a flesh wound, lol. :cheers: here's what mine looked like afterwards (the scab on my knee is one of two spots where bone splinters were poking out. blech.:

[IMG]

beforewards:

[IMG]
  15. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's below the belt... :busted:

We've never had to pull my bike back onto the trail with ropes - its usually only a few feet from the trail. :thumbsup:

Also, I have never even had my head below water. My bike has floated away a time or two, but I've always come out of it just fine. :doh:
  16. lineman12345678 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It was really nice to get to meet a few of you. I had a good time riding even with all the dust. Tammy I would love to meet up in California for a ride. I was on my KTM 530 and it was funny to see this lonely orange bike in a sea of red and white Huskys. I am thinking about picking up a 2011 TE 310 for the next get together.
  17. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Eric (mr woodschick) and timh had to pull my bike back onto the trail with ropes once. :p

I ain't ashamed....
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Ugh, it looks worse today on the big screen than it did yesterday :(

Hope you're doing ok today, rpmguy! I feel for you, I really do...

WoodsChick
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

There's a reason Eric carries rope in his ginormous backpack; I've been there a few times myself.

WoodsChick
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    "Here's the footage. Be warned there is some language after the fact."

Looks exactly like my wreck, on the same trail with similar results.