APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Will try it on my buddies WR250 next time.
    lankydoug and 454x like this.
  2. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    awesome reviews, guys! :cheers:

when i first saw pics, i wondered about this. it looks massive.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    only because it is. Still works amazing. I cant get over the improved power and throttle response.
    wallybean, 454x and typeone like this.
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I think I can't wait for the diecast version to come out.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I dont want to sound like a doubter :) and I do believe kelly/John that these carbs are great but Id find it a better comparison to see it tested back to back with a well set up 36 pwk or newer modded TMXX carb ( ie correct needle for bike etc) ridden on the same day - same condiitions .
    I also wonder what the guage on how lean you are running it is - as you dont have jets to compare it too. I guess you are checking plug
    Sounds like a good find though:applause:
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep it was plug checks for me on my WB165. I may not be the best carb set up guy but I have a clear plastic container with lots of jets and needles where I jetted and re-jetted my stock Mikuni and one that was way better with divider plates etc .that was given to me. Neither set up was remotely close to the SmartCarb after a few simple clicks of a knob with your fingers :D. More power and no jetting = win wim to me.
    huskybear and 454x like this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know, i had a similar feeling. Why had no one built a wonder carb like this before if it was possible. That said and as skeptical as I was this carb is no joke, huge, real, obvious gains in power, much improved throttle response and better mileage. I have ridden probably hundreds of bikes and have been riding for 35 years. Far from knowing everything but have huge experience (time on bikes) and ride a ton and I know when i try something and have a huge ride experience on which to compare it to. the bike I put it on I had just ridden several times int he last week and know exactly how it runs. Even Blake who does not ride my bike much felt it instantly. I'm not blowing smoke, did not pay for this carb, know nothing about that company nor am even able to get dealer pricing as they have none. I have zero stake in this. IMHO there must be something to it really atomizing the fuel. This would account for more power, more response and better mileage. Also I feel a regular carb has lots of inefficiencies and runs lean one minute and rich the next depending on what circuit you are in and what you are doing. The single metering system in this setup seems to make that much more efficient, and requirement (draw / load) dependent. My plug looks perfect and not lean. The bike feels like it is running so hard it is about to explode and on the edge of jetting when it really is not.

This thing works. I have a cast one on order.

Going to try it on a WR250 and my CR165. Will report back.

thanks again John. :cheers:
    lankydoug, john01 and 454x like this.
  8. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    It was a great find for me. I owe Eaglefreak a debt of gratitude for posting this thread! I have ten hours on mine now and I'll have one for every two stroke bike we own! I've researched Red Edmonston and will sing his praises, as well as the American Performance Technologies crew, while twisting the throttle!
    454x likes this.
  9. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Alright I'm a huge doubter in snakeoil and "smart carbs " ( a huge oxymorn to me). But you are starting to perk my interest. At first I thought the benefits would be for trailriders who have big altitude changes during a ride and do a lot of partial throttle, and the benefits would be minimal to the way I ride. But I'm really starting to pay attention. I trust the butt dyno that there is a peak power increase, increased atomization could account for that. I would have to think that a 38 would provide even a better peak gain, anyone going to try one of those?

I'm still really scared of the astronomical price!:eek:
  10. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I posted this on the GasGas Rider forum. I'm copying it here in case someone had a similar question.

From this thread:
    http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13471
  11. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    For me, the biggest plus is better MPG... The extra power, I don't need... The quicker throttle response is nice for sure, but even with an oversized tank, I'm only getting 50+mpg out of a tank (about the same as when in 125 form). I also think my pilot is a little rich, so I need to address that, but if you can really get an extra 20% MPG out of this, that is HUGE!!!
  12. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Compared to a Ti exhaust system, Sidi Crossfire boots, Flexx bars, oversized tank, it's a heck of a bargain. Oh, IMHO. :) I can't wait for a GNCC pro to get one.
    ohmygewd and john01 like this.
  13. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ..I was just wandering that!...and what about this "mod" if you are racing amateur AMA sanctioned events...like Ponca City or Loretta's ? I guess you'd have to run in mod class?!? I had a rider enter Ponca in stock 250 class (a few years back) and during tech they did not let him thru because he had an anti slip seat cover and Huskys came stock with them...spent an hour or so fighting this...it was ridiculous!
  14. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:

BLASPHEMY I tell you But it seems you already knew that ;)
  15. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    PM me for my Paypal address. :D I'm just glad it worked and no one felt as if they got ripped off. I am so obsessed with this carb, but unfortunately don't have the funds right now to purchase one. I actually had a dream the other night that I bought an APT for my car it made it run 100 times better. :lol:
    huskybear likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    OK not we are in hyperboil zone. :eek:

he he he

Good stuff. And yes, thanks for starting this fun thread.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Mark, I am with you on the snake oil and smart carbs. Had John not sent me this I would still be scratching my head. Let me back up some and say this carb is in no way necessary nor fantastical. Lets not get too excited here. That said it is pretty cool and for sure is a performance increase on several levels. Who knows maybe I'll blow my motor up with this goofy thing. Its all part of the fun.

I was wondering when you might pop your head in here being a moto guy and with a 125 husky. I think there would be real benefits for you guys too. The response and roll on power is noticeably better and can only help coming out of corners and jump faces. On my particular setup the top end gain was huge. Probably more there than anywhere and makes me wonder if my main was off. BUT the Doma always feels this way to me on the 4-5 bikes I have used it on. I like the Doma as I trade some top end for better low and lots more mid which works for my woods needs. With the APT it freaking RIPS on top. I need to get more top end open area time on it to be able to report fully but sure seems like the top end gains are big. Need to get it out to the dez. The quick adjustment does affect the mixture and is fine enough (50 clicks I think) that it offers nice detailed tuning. The cast price is supposed to be closer to $400 so not bad.

Again this thing is not the holy grail like it might sound but first impressions are that it is very impressive.
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are welcome Kelly. I sent the carb to you for your .02 because like you said you have no dog in the fight and I wanted someone with lot's of different bike brands, types, sizes, ect. to call it like they feel it. I've been reading your ride reports and value your opinion. So test on :cheers:.
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Price is not bad....spent more than that at a bar on several occassions...no wait...that was in Bangkok...well nevermind
    wallybean, Ruffus and Blakelpd5 like this.
  20. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drinks are CHEAP over there... We bought a whole bar for the night with unlimited drinks for 15+ peeps for less than that my friend.... Me thinks your money went to "other" things, and I applaude you for having a good time!:applause: