APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Very short while, and the bike doesn't need to be upside down!Those tubes flow a lot of gas. :banghead: That is the only issue that isn't operator related in my opinion. When it's corrected the carb is golden! I ordered another one...
    454x likes this.
  2. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Are they going to offer a cast 36mm?
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I put once adjusted it's not temperamental since there was feedback that it could be ridden through extreme altitude changes without adjustment. I didn't find any proof that after extreme changes of altitude that the air fuel mixture was still ideal. To me this is a minor point because according to feedback one or two clicks of the knob could solve this. I was being careful not to overstate the benefits.

From my perspective this carb will solve many 2t carb issues and save me from buying an oversized fuel tank that all reports claim fits poorly. If I can ride in MO to the CO mountains without bringing jets and messing with the bike it is worth the money on that alone. Add to that an increase in throttle response, top end power and 20% better fuel economy ie. 10 more miles to a tank, buying a SC is a no brainer.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I agree Doug and altitude adjustment is more than being tempermental. When a ride has more than 6-7000' in altitude change any traditional carb is not going to handle that without jetting changes or living with a poor running motor at some point. Apt has based much of their research and development around the Pike's Peak hill climb with outstanding results and that is what I base my assumptions around. It is about the most important factor for me. I do very few rides with less than 4000' of elevation change. All the rest of your points are icing on the cake and have me slathering at the mouth.:thumbsup:
    ohmygewd likes this.
  5. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Just saw on FB that they are taking orders for the cast version for $375.
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Did you have any issues with the airboot rubbing on the shock spring after installing your smart carb? I am wondering if I will have to get creative with a heat gun when I get mine for my wr144:thinking:.
  7. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No issue there!
    huskybear likes this.
  8. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Saw this over on the Gas Gas forum in regards to the dimensions. I'm really thinking about one of the cast versions for the new Gasser.

9. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    Does this mean we should expect a package in the post or do you have to approach them about it? Where did you hear this if you dont mind me asking?
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I read it over on the GasGas site. I think they will be asking us to send the carb in so they can do one part of ther upgrade. I'm just going to wait until they get the parts and call them about it.
  11. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Apt a asking people to post results on Cafe Husky over on the Gasgas forum so he can avoid paying a sponsor fee is complete BULLSHIT. Hey Corey if you have no problem asking $775 -$875 for a dirt bike carb then you should have no problem paying for advertising like everyone else

If there is someone on here who also posts on the Cafe Husky forum, could you please post this response to a similar question on the husky site. Glenn will no longer allow me to post without buying a sponsorship
  12. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    And temperature changes are compensated for as well.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I flipped my bike upside down going off a trail first day I tried the APT, no issues. No flooding and started right up. :excuseme:
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW did another 53 miles in the gnar yesterday. This area has it all, tight nasty single track going straight up and straight down and some more open quad trails for connectors. This is on my newly installed 165 kit and KTM 200 Doma pipe. Best motor ever for me, period. Gobs of liquid power everywhere. I am in love.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So as reported IMHO the APT carb is the real deal and does in fact bring many cool things to the table.

- Far better throttle response
    - increased HP across the board especially bottom and top.
    - EZ "jetting" changes

I did find the choke circuit seems to rich for my needs. Will not start without it cold but seems to need some throttle to start it with the choke on and then needs turned off real quick. I also do not like the throttle cable retainer, had many issues with that.

I am done testing and going back to the stock carb for the next ride to see the difference on the frankenmotored 165 (FBF ported cylinder bored to WB165, Domes KTM 200 pipe, reeds on "low" setting).

Vinduro has been kind enough to offer me his new Lectron car to test so when that gets here i will evaluate that and see whats up. Then we will have 165 results for the stock carb, APT and Lectron. Fun stuff.

Thanks all.
    Blair7, 454x, Steve-oh and 4 others like this.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Great job Kelly and I look forward to your stock carb and Lectron carb. Ok Walt your turn :popcorn:.
  17. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's my quick fix for the throttle cable retainer position. I wouldn't have thought that it would rotate under the spring pressure, but it does. There is a threaded hole to receive a screw, but that is not supplied, and maybe not a good idea anyway. I reshaped the top of a cotter pin. No worries now![IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    wallybean likes this.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Ok Kelly, great stuff and now we all have to wait for ours to get here......:(. I guess I do want to try it so I can compare it with the two pipes I have. Send it if you can although my riding will be strictly around the place unless it warms up over in Butte at Pipestone.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Will send sometime this week. Was going to send to Motomarc36 as i thought a pure MX test would be good and did not think you wanted to try it but will send to you ASAP.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW i did find out what the mysterious white smokeout was on my bike. When i get on my bike like on a big hill it smoked a white smoke like crazy, had a weird smell and would fog up the whole area. Turns out it was the older notoil filter oil coming off my filter in large quantities and gooing up the carb and going through the motor. Bike still ran perfect but was a fog machine. Problem identified.