KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bought both the TE511 and TR650 so I care and i also think they are GREAT bikes for their intended mission. Many a KTM 450-530 dude has tried my 511 and was impressed. I will be keeping these bikes and relish that they will be unique for a long time. I'm fine with that as long as i can get parts which I believe is a law or mandate for 10 years. I have a feeling the TR650 is not going away. this stuff does not happen overnight and some KTM dealers seem to ahve known about this for about a year. I'll just keep riding these great machines and do just like robertaccio says.
    BadMotoWeazal likes this.
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Actually, of all the BMW bikes, those are the mostly likely to survive as BMW doesn't ship a bike with their engines any more. The Nuda, however...
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I got all I ever wanted from the BMW/Husky years... Juha winning an EWC Title on a Husky!
    raisrx251, mnb, WoodsChick and 4 others like this.
  4. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's a bit of wild-assed speculation for you... but after reading Piers comments about seperate brands but common manufacturing here's what I would think could happen: I think Husky's will share much DNA with KTM [mostly engine if I had to guess] but not as much as Husaberg. Something like KTM - 100%; Husky - 60-75% -- I also see Husaberg disappearing and Husky reverting back and adopting the old color scheme or the new red one. I don't think Husky will be a rebadged KTM [like Husaberg] but will have different frames and slightly different suspension setup.

The CEO said engine development is expensive. So -- I read that to be one group designes engines for everyone. Maybe they are setup differently. Frames [I've got to think] are less intensive and could be more "individuallized."

One last prediction -- even with a good bit of KTM DNA once everyone sees the new Husky [even with KTM bits] I bet most people here will be stoked.
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

One other thing to think about -- might it make sense for KTM to go for a more "mainstream" portion of the dirt market since they are bigger already and use Husky as the platform for things it has always been know for? What I am thinking is KTM focuses on MX -- that eats into big 4 market sure for sure -- and they have some momentum there. The other area where KTM could keep pushing is the dual-sport route [although I acknowledge Husky of late does this well too]. What that would leave is the off-road segment to Husky. H&H, Baja out west and National Enduro and GNCC out east. Just a thought.
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Repeating it doesn't make it true.

This isn't my opinion. This isn't "presumptive caste arrogance" (what do you think that even means, exactly?). This is a FACT.

Audi, on average, sells higher priced models of cars, which are MARKETED as a premium product, compared to BMW.

Note that I am NOT talking about which cars are better, or cooler, or faster, or higher quality, or better value, or anything else. I am completely neutral on that. I am simply stating the fact that Audi plays in a higher market segment than VW.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Happy!
    [IMG]

Not so happy
    [IMG]
    raisrx251 and 454x like this.
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

This is essentially what has been going on with BMW. 449/511 uses lightly modified 450X engine and Husky frame, same for Terra/Strada and Nuda. In the near term I think we will begin to see common engines, the trick is to keep the differences distinct enough so customers dont just see it as flip a coin, or which dealer do I like better. This wasnt a problem with BMW because the customer crossover was minimal...KTM and Husqvarna have a lot of overlapping clientele.

In the long run there has to be some benefit to the two brands or the temptation to badge engineer will ruin the whole thing....
  9. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There really is not anything wrong with the 511 if used as intended BUT it is by no meens a race bike
    Dual sport /trail bike it is great KTM has a 640/690 or the 950 /990 Adventure bikes so maybe Husky will return to its roots and make Racing Dirt Bikes along the line of Huseberg That is what would be great
    then comes a Husky racing team Heard Ty Davis still likes Husky
  10. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Like I said earlier as a previous owner of KTM, the 2t motors are good and I think it would be cool to see one in the CR125 frame,that's what I would buy in a heart beat.I absolutely love the the handling fit and fininsh of that bike just needs a 250 in it.
    Camstyn likes this.
  11. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    4eyes and WoodsChick like this.
  13. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
    First off, I feel bad for all the Sanjays and Ravis who will have to pose as Michaels and Stephens on the Husqvarna customer support line. I, for one, will introduce myself as Ravi Gupta to make them feel more at home with calls from the USA. Beyond that, I only hope parts are easy to come by for the TE449 over the next years and that someone will actually be willing to buy the bike off Craigslist when I'm done with it.
  14. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Ok, after reading from page 19 to now 24, there seems to be the emotions of hooray 'KTM haven't bought out HVA' to 'Shit, KTM CEO is going to cannibalize HVA' .
    I don't think he (SP), can be CEO of two companies so it will only be a matter of time before an announcement is made that SP will step down as CEO of KTM and become CEO of Husqvarna.
    Will it be good? I'm more hopeful than the BMW marriage only to the point that Stefan Pierer has a deep understanding of the dirtbike industry plus their understanding of 2 stroke is centuries ahead of BMW (surprise we never had a boxer engine TE or WR) and for me that is the bright point of this acquisition and also the slight worry!!
    Overall, it should be good for HVA and more importantly us as owners as the 2t part of HVA will get a long deserved overhaul BUT will we loose the bullet-proof 250/300 2t design in favour of the KTM versions?
    On the 4 banger front, mate, l hope the TE get's the 390/450 husaberg motors and develop that as a 'HVA' power plant as l think, and many have commented, husaberg will probably merge back into husqvarna as they were many moons ago.
    I expect all HVA bikes will be fitted with WP suspenders and keihin carbs but not with PDS (hope), and hopefully a better designed e-starter for the 2t 300's.
  15. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husqvarna Support line? That is what Cafe Husky is for; when the factory has information we want ...somebody posts it here, but usually someone here figures it out first and shares with the factory and dealers.
  16. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    SP can be CEO of 2 companies. Google him. He is involved with more corporations as a chief officer than we have fingers.
  17. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

KTM engines in Husqvarna frames made in Italy. Would that satsify current Husqvarna owners? More importantly..speaking as a dealer..does that attract new customers to the brand? I sell Husaberg and its working there and the frames are the same. If Husqvarna is to grow it has go beyond the hardcore "Husky" owner. It just does. Will having a well know engine and parts distrubution and stable dealer network help that happen? Imo it certainly won't hurt. I am curious because I have been fence sitting for a couple of years as to taking on Husqvarna. I was leary of the direction that BMW was taking and my instincts proved to be right. I live is an area where Husqvarna has rotted on the vine for so long that it will take some drastic measures to get it going again. Having a KTM engine would do wonders to make that happen I do believe. I know for true believers there is a definate KTM bias. I have never really understood that but it is what it is. I am longtime KTM guy. I owned Pentons and KTM going back 30 years and became a dealer 13 years ago. I always liked Husqvarnas and thought they were cool bikes. I was never really anti anything so I have a hard time getting my head around that. I am now very interested in seeing where this goes. Look at it from my standpoint. If the bikes are as I describe all I need to stock would frame and plastic parts. You know for sure the bike will have Brembos and WP's so even there we have parts on ths shelf. I am very interested in the opinons expressed here.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    390/450, no thanks, I want the 510cc Husaberg engine in my TE ;)
  19. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
    A joke, a joke... My thoughts on parts and resale still stand, though. Otherwise, the joke might be on us.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well it is going to be one of two things...

[IMG]

or our house will be on fire and a twister will fuel it further

[IMG]

Time will tell
    ray_ray likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.