KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    I can't see Husqvarna being exactly the same as KTM or Berg. Husaberg seemed like the test bed for a while, but it turned into the dedicated enduro line, retaining the PDS suspension. KTM still offers a dirt bike for every need, including enduro and has mixed linkage and PDS in that lineup. They have been fucusing more on MotoX (sponsorship & suspension), Adventure and Street (including Asia) in recent years. Where Husky fits in that picture will be interesting. I could see it as the entry level with 2 year old or Bajaj technology to compete with the Japanese on price or it could be the dedicated MX & Desert line. I guess another alternative would be to kill Berg and turn it back into Husky if the Husaberg brand isn't strong enough to justify its existance. That would certainly be getting back to its roots.

The ownership portion will be interesting as well. I can see Husqvarna staying out of Bajaj's control entirely or being folded into the mix, increasing SP's equity / ownership % in Cross as a whole.

A whole lot of guessing (my post included) and not much action of late. I'd really like to see where this is headed, but I suspect we will be waiting for a while.
  2. CD1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
  3. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  5. Harbinger Hróðvitnir

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Nuda 900 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell
    I really hope so.
  6. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...more crap to digest...ProveSportNewsTurismo21/02/2013The number one BMW and KTM reveal the whole truthGALLERY12thFOTOStephan Schaller (BMW): "The terrain has little future and priority is urban mobility" Stefan Pierer (KTM): "Husqvarna and Husaberg share engines. They will live models 650 but not the Nude 900. We will focus a lot on Supermotard and not on the Cross "
    The passage of the Husqvarna KTM (actually in the hands of Stefan Pierer, President KTM) has written a great deal, even on Motociclismo.it (click here), but the truth is that nobody knows exactly all of this (the workers of Cassinetta are among those who would like to know more, for example). But we, thanks to our friends at Motorrad, we are able to give you first-hand information, provided directly from the number one of the houses involved in the handover of Husqvarna. And you find really cool stuff.

INTERVIEW WITH STEPHAN SCHALLER, NUMBER ONE BMW MOTORRAD
    Mr. Shaller, how many bikes sold in 2012 Husqvarna?In total? 10,751. 9,656 private customers.
    As explained by the sale?Husqvarna bought when the market was in good health, was traveling at a high level of sales. With the onset of the crisis scenarios have changed, and sales dropped by up to 50%. Then to complicate matters came the crisis of the euro. Take, for example, Spain and Italy, the drop in sales for all it was vertical. Sell ​​models has become very difficult.
    What has changed so much since 2007 in the market of off-road motorcycles to convince the sale?It's a question of brands. The motorcycle world is evolving quickly. There are strategic reasons behind the sale and not just economic. The last few years we had to reposition the brand BMW Motorrad. It changed the market, the demographics of bikers, ecology with increasingly stringent regulations ... we must strengthen the offensive of urban mobility.
    Yet Husqvarna has established itself with models like the Nuda, the 650. Why the sudden transfer?The market leaves little room to off-road pure, so we developed road models. But to be honest, in this segment we see a lot more potential hidden in the BMW brand.
    But BMW Motorrad will continue to supply engines for the Nuda 900 and 650 Strada?It's a question of product to which I can not answer time and applies to new owners.
    What can we expect in the coming years by BMW motorcycle?The BMW Group wants to develop Mototrrad BMW models to purely road. We want to develop tourer motorcycle, enduro travel, sports and roadster. Point. Already this year will see new models. Then we develop mobility. So we will focus sull'elettrico and hybrid engines.

Interview with Stefan Pierer, OWNER HUSQVARNA
    What new products have in mind for Husqvarna?We want to create a full range of off-road racing models. Husqvarna has its roots deeply embedded in off-road, we will not revolutionize his DNA.
    All fans agree: the range is in urgent need of a refresh. You can transfer the know-how to KTM Husqvarna?Yes, of course. Look at the automotive world. There are completely different models from outside such as line, design, interiors. Then lift the hood and see that they have the same engine, the same. This is what we imagine for Husqvarna. We could also imagine a greater sharing technique Husaberg (KTM-owned since 1995, ed) both have similar roots and origin in Sweden.
    Despite the market trend, Husqvarna still has a strong appeal among fans: I will respect the tradition?Certainly. KTM has its roots in Motocross, or rather let me say that he almost invented, and not cannibalize shall understand this heritage with Husqvarna.
    How will you organize the sales force?It's all on the table, final decisions have not been taken. But one thing I can assure you: we will not sell through dealers Husqvarna KTM. Husqvarna will have their points of sale.
    What will change in the range?I would keep for good models 650 and Route. But Husqvarna also has a huge potential in the segment supermoto-Sport, I would see a good new model of this type. The Nuda 900 has not sold well, for me it is too far from the roots of the brand. He paid dearly for BMW super competence in the field of road. And with the experience of the KTM twins are convinced that a dealer would not be happy having to sell a similar model.
    MikeB, BILLF and boisedave like this.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting tid bits...

I wish someone would interview him that spoke English natively.
  8. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

i would have loved to see this engine used in the "dual bikes", instead of the 650cc "rotax" engine.

one of the most underrated qualities of that engine is imho the high homologated power. 47 hp if i recall correctly. that's incredible. that's actually the ideal engine for anything "urban" or "road-motard" or real "dual use" bikes.

imagine the terra/strada, or the baja, with the 449 engine. i would have loved to see the smq go into production.
    imho, the bike of the future legally has 50 hp and 120 kg. the 449 engine comes quite close to that...

r
  9. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    The 449 engine lacks the longevity of the 650 rotax. Partially due to limited oil capacity.
  10. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
  11. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    How do you feel about Triumph? I loved my original Bonneville and my '97 Speed Triple. A lot of people put the new Triumph down, as having no real link to the original. I see a lot of riders, who rode Triumphs back in the day on Harleys, because they feel they are "Real Harleys". Same way old Swedish Husky riders, would ride new KTM's because Cagiva Huskys weren't "Real Huskys". I still ride all my Huskys '82-'09.
    454x likes this.
  13. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is all that writers summarry of both dudes interviews which are summed up (translated) in post 1055. Original interview says BMW to go to urban and still give motors to Husky for 650. SP says aHusky to go off road and racing models. Sharing technology ...sure.....but Husky to go to berg and share their withered and basically dead Swedish roots....thats a stretch and wishful thinking by the aurthor as well as speculation. SP says off road and racing....Bajaj is drooling over making 10,000 duke 200's (it is a 4 stroke 200 BTW) so Husky, according to Indian News is all BAjaj....again speculation and parochial visions.

I am Just sitting back and waiting. Bottom line KTM went bankrupt in the 90's....was in the red for many quarters in 07 to 09 and laid off as many as 500 of the 2000 employees in Matighoffen. They started to be in the black and rehiring in recent years but in the red is bad and often with it in corporate world is back intrest and back taxes. I am wondering were any one got the $$ with that financial saga? The "sale for an undisclosed sum" was not chump change and neither KTM nor SP, nor cross AG soleley would have it. Bought on leverage for sure but using what collateral as leverage? These details are the clue to the truth. SP selling his shares he gets as bennies as CEO to bajaj for the $$ to buy husky as himself or Cross AG? Austrian Govt to give leniency on back pay to put Husky in Austria plant? (Remember they are selling the plant in Italy) Friggin Soap Opera if you ask me. (Downton Abbey on dirt bikes for you UK dudes)
    chuckc4, Captnemo and ray_ray like this.
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Not yet. The new Husqvarna engines are not KTM. Although I fear that the new Huskys next year are going to be one year wonders.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    What's not funny is how BMW is cutting it's ties with Husqvarna. BMW is pulling out in a big way. Many of the Husqvarna employees and contractees down here are looking for new jobs. I'm not suprised, we saw this coming after BMW/Husqvarna rudely cut their ties with us.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Business at that level is ruthless and there seems to be no love for those that helped in the good times. When something gets sold and there is a lot of money changing hands it gets even worse. Its sad and good people will unfortunately pay the price too.
    Tinken likes this.
  18. Chaz955i Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple
    I love my Speed Triple simply because it is a great reliable bike and perfect for the type of riding I do. A side benefit is I don't see one every five minutes. Some people don't care about that part. Regarding Meridian Triumphs, they were before my time and I can't comment other than saying I think they were attractive bikes and have a admirable racing history. Steve McQueen liked them which is endorsement enough for me. I guess it boils down to if you want a new Triumph you accept the new company or you find something else. Opinions from certain Harley riders about the current Triumph not being "real" is so trite it doesn't even deserve comment. Then again if having relatives collect location tagged H-D t-shirts from their vacation destinations and then wearing them to the local bike night is "keeping it real", maybe I just don't understand.

Some of the histrionics over whether the future Huskys will be made here or there are somewhat laughable. It is like people are unable to grasp that manufacturing in a global economy is very different than how things were 20 years ago. Premium brands like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all have had manufacturing outside the "Home" country for years. It is ok. The world is not ending. LOL!! The good thing is there seem to be a good supply of pre-87 Huskys for those that can't move on. I'm actually pretty excited to see how the future Huskys turn out even if they share KTM or Husaberg tech. Old or new it is all good to me. Just glad I'm blessed enough to be able to ride. :)
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Judging from past actions, KTM would never do this kind of business, they have always taken care of their contracts and employees, to the end. I welcome the joining of the two companies. To BMW; Thanks for my 449, now go away. :)
    boisedave and Dirtdame like this.
  20. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Well, if we don't like the new company we can all move over to the vintage forum.
    rasputin, Harbinger and Tinken like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.