1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

My Txc310 Is Almost Perfect

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MikeB, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dave - we were based at the Baumgartner campground 10 miles upstream from Featherville (the town is now evacuated due to the fire). Fantastic base camp with 60 degree river water to cool down in after a ride and a geothermal hot tub for relieving tired muscle and decent outhouses.

Contact Bill Dart (http://www.delalbright.com/Access/orba_dart.htm) for Idaho maps. He is the guru of Idaho trails and his maps are mandatory equipment - and a local rider with current trail condition knowledge is VERY good to have. The trails are technical - and sometimes extremely technical. Riding with someone else is HIGHLY reccomended - some bridges are out and some trails nearly impassable. Most locals seem to ride with a knobby but I found the trials tire gave an extra measure of capability.

On my TXC I'm not sure how much the JD accomplished. I do reccomend an exhaust. FMF and ProCurcuit both make systems with "poserbomb" type headpipes. Chrome Addiction in Pa has the best prices I've found on FMF and Akra. ProCirduit was having a 20% off sale on their website last time I checked.
  2. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    [IMG]

by the looks of this pic, your going to wear a hole in your mudguard. looks like you've been rubbing on it already.
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    I'll have to check on the Idaho fire conditions, we'll be riding 30-40 miles west of Featherville in the Danskin Mtns OHV area. Love to give that campground you mentioned a try though, its sounds like a great spot. Next trip.

Thanks for the tips on riding the Featherville area and contacting Bill Dart. Looks like Bill is in Pocatello and my brother, who I ride with, lives there too. Those trails look tough. Did someone pack a come-along winch to haul fallen bikes back up to the trail? !!

I'm a believer in using a trials tire after watching a friend use it to easily climb nasty stuff on his KTM 300 2-stroke and plenty of other testimonials. It's on the list along with the Tubliss. Did you add sealant when using the Tubliss? I would guess riding in AZ and all that cacti you have to run sealant.

I like the Akrapovic and Pro Circuit is out of stock. Chrome Addiction is back ordered too. Found another outlet for the Akra, so we'll give it a go. Hopefully adding it won't require mapping adjustments.

Dave
  4. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

One of those tie-downs with the ratcheting mechanism works pretty well as a come-along for most situations. Along with at least 50' of rope.
    I always run Slime in the Tubliss. It doesn't do a great job of sealing real punctures but does seal it around the bead, seal the small stuff, and show where the big ones are as the green oozes out. It ads to the mess during tire changes but ... there's no free lunch.
    The fire started somewhere around 30 miles west of Featherville - I thought I heard in a wilderness area. Hope you can get to ride the area - it's all about being a technically good rider. In our group some of the "slower" racers ended up being better riders when challenged by the Idaho terrain.
  5. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

duggoey likes this.
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
  7. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mike - nice little video. Thanks for posting. Looks like great riding, I like the open sections but those side hills are steep. Pay attention!
    Got any video of the hill climbs up to the ridges?
    Cool stuff, thanks.
    Dave
  8. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah Dave - that video is from one of the group - all "blue diamond" trails with some "green" parts (the nice trail thru the trees). If you want to see what the "black diamond" and "double black diamond" trails look like click on the "trail 50" video which YouTube kindly pops up. I didn't ride those :eek:
  9. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Man, that "trail 50" is steep!
    Mike, when you mounted your Akra, did the existing heat shields fit or did you have to fab some?
    My Akra gets here tomorrow. Any other hints would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Dave
  10. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

No heat shields. There's some evidence of discoloration on the pipe just before the muffler which would indicate that I'm rubbing it with my boot/pants. But there's no sign of contact on my boots or even on the over-the-boot Klims I wore in Idaho and I've never felt a hot spot. I do ride trying to grip the bike with my knees and balls of my feet so ... not sure what a lot of people complain about. I've thought about wrapping that small area with pipe wrap. I have to use a ball end hex wrench to undo the bolt that holds the skid plate on since the pipe hangs down over the bolt. Otherwise ... I just notice a lot more low end and feels like 3 more hp on top which lets me choose between 2 gears when riding.
  11. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, Mike.
    Nice to know you don't need 'em. I have the Uptite skidplate, but the mounting is probably the same.
    I'm looking forward to some more low end torque and being able to lug it a little more. That's what I liked about my TE610, being able to have gobs of torque down low. I'll let you know how the new pipe works.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes please. Love those kind of trails.
  13. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Mike:
    What rear tire size are you running? The PO put a 100-100 rear on mine.
    I think it's too narrow. Maybe a 120-90 or 130-90. I think originally the bike came with 140-90.
    Any thoughts on rear tire size? I mainly ride the open stuff like your video.
    Thanks. Dave
  14. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

For a knobby rear I've been very impressed with the original eqpt tire: Piielli xtra Mid - Soft in a 110/100-18. It has a reputation for good bite and great wear in all situations - I think it has great bite and great wear. I think the Pirelli 400-18 trials tire is the best also - less bite than the "true" competition trials tires but again - great traction and great wear. I've been ordering them from RockyMountain.
    The trials tire is taller and I was gearing for technical riding so I got 52 tooth rear sprocket and rotor guard from Motospotz - the gearing ended up being just right for slow going and the rotor guard is gouged in a couple of places - and they really look "bling". I put on a longer chain for the bigger sprocket and to move the rear wheel back (it still rubs the mud thing slightly just like the stock tire did but I don't care). Funny thing is the taller rear tire hasn't affected the handling as I expected it should - and I'm pretty sensitive to ride height changes on most bikes (or maybe most bikes are more sensitive to ride height changes than the Husky).
    I'm going to be running a rock race in October on a course that looks a lot like "los ancianos" stuff that's been posted. For that I plan on running the trials rear tire (it's that good) and a 90/100-21 front - probably a Pirelli.
  15. thumperrider1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 310 TXC
    What sag numbers are you guys running on your 2012's?
  16. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mike:
    I rode my 2012 TE310 for the first time with the new Akrapovic racing exhaust on it. Wow. What an improvement!
    More power/torque than expected and much quicker throttle response. Too quick actually, I had to use the milder map for awhile, then go back to the race map.
    Highly recommended upgrade. Feel like I'm riding a 450. No need to wrap the pipe like you said, no burnt pants.
    Thanks. Dave
    MikeB likes this.
  17. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

11 months and 75 hours on her now. I pulled the inner sparky and quiet insert out of the Akra for some private land riding/racing and the little bike picked up some top end rush. It sounds about the same as most 250 mxers now. I think the JD specs were a notch too rich for the "quiet" pipe but just right with things opened up.
    I went back to the stock gearing with the tall Pirelli trials tire still holding up well out back: too much air in the Tubliss and it can get a little loose at full lean so I run about 6psi. Put a Pirelli MxMh in 90-100 size up front which slows the steering just a notch which is fine and smooshes over trail trash rocks like they aren't there. The tread pattern is identical to the stock tire and I run about 7 to 8 psi in the Tubliss.
  18. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Does your font tubliss leak at all?

Mine does and I always seem to puncture the tire over the tubliss rim lock in the rocks.

The slime leaks out of the hole
  19. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've run Tubliss since they came out .. occasionally I run into a tire that leaks a little more than others but a little slime takes care of it. If you're puncturing the tire at the rim lock there's something wrong .. I think Tubliss changed their torque spec on the rim lock (lower). I don't tighten mine too much because I had an issue with a tire that bulged a little at the lock when torqued to the original spec. It is fairly common for the Tubliss tube to rub a little and develop a leak at the rim lock over time so some guys put a little rim tape on the edges in that area.
  20. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    Hey Mike, I wore the tires out and went with an MxExtra X in 100/100 -18 and a Brigstone M403 on the front. I am liking the combo. We still have to get together and Ride Marana sometime.