APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The billet carb is larger than the Mikuni and the Keihin. Not sure how much larger than the Keihin but know a few guys with GG and KTM's bikes that have it mounted up. My understasnding from Corey with APT is the new die cast carbs will be smaller and sized to fit.
    wallybean and typeone like this.
  2. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    GOPR0035.JPG

Attached Files:

CelticDude, MOTORHEAD and huskybear like this.
  3. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

LOL so that's what it looks like on the inside. My son bolted mine on so fast I didn't even get to see him connect the cable. I was reading and he was wrenching; speed install :D. Great pics Blair :applause:.
  5. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    If so I wonder if fitting 08 boots would help?
  6. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I thought of doing that but decided to keep the $65.00 and pull the subframe. :) My installation doesn't squish the air boot like I've seen in the KTM pictures.
    john01 likes this.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John and flyingBob,

Is the power and crispness increased across the entire powerband evenly? If it is a better atomization that should be true. Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy? Any difference in the amount of spooge? Should be less as the finer droplet size should increase oil burn too. I am really interested what the results are like in large elevation changes. Especially in the change of 6-7000' in one ride. If it handles that as advertised the carb is worth the investment for that alone.

I expect that I will be buying one of these as they are the kind of new, cool tech I love. Will it make me a better rider......uh.....no, but it will make me happy. :)
    CelticDude and ohmygewd like this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for taking the time to post the pix. Interesting design. I always thought it would be fun to design a completely externally adjustable carb. It just seems like carb tech has been pretty stagnant for the most part.
  9. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I really am glad I made the purchase decision. The improvement is not marginal, it's extremely noticeable. So much so that any placebo effect argument goes away. Or I'm just deaf, dumb and blind. :oldman:
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

What he said! Yes Walt the power spread is everywhere. I have no spooge now. Still have a few drops that come out of the PV breather tube but it even looks different lol. I got some good answers over on the GG site but basically it's like you said, better atomization. It's funny the WB165 now spins up like it did in 125 trim as far as the RPM's build up but that's where the comparisons stop. My WB165 is now a small rocket always ready to GO! It's actually hard to put into words the difference now but you know how your WB's run...now picture/feel that with a much stronger, quicker, smoother, harder pulling engine with NO dips, delays, hesitations and add in some other good things and you can start to get the picture. I'm going to run mine another week and send it off to Kelley. If you like get him to send it to you before he sends it back to me. You are more than welcome to try it out for yourself. On the fuel mileage thing I have no clue on that but it's reported as better. One more note: my son actually liked my bike better in 125 trim because he said he likes how quick it spun up. Now he wants a WB165 with SmartCarb. Me...I'm gonna gear this rocket up from the current 50 rear :oldman:.

n
    wallybean likes this.
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Are you guys seeing any effects from weather / temp or altitude changes? I would expect the pressurized bowl would compensate for this rather well.
  12. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GasGas EC300 2009 KTM 300XC
    The SmartCarb has the ability to pull fuel down to less than 10 micron droplet size in a healthy engine, oil too if a premix. The high atomization potential is what is responsible for the carbs ability to increase performance, decrease fuel consumption, lower emissions, and all but eliminate spooge. The altitude correction circuit keeps all that finely atomized fuel proportionally correct to the air, regardless of elevation.

APT sponsored six racers at Pikes Peak this year; two quads, three 250cc 2T bikes, and one 530 TM 4 stroke. All of these were tuned on dyno's in Kansas City at 800' and then raced from 9000' to 14,100' elevation, combined with many days of tire testing. None of these had any carburetion corrections made to them during the three days of testing, or the race itself, which is really remarkable when you consider most racers are always tuning for an edge and the extreme elevations of Pikes Peak are giving everybody fueling fits.

At first look, these claims are almost unbelievable in that a simple carburetor could accomplish so much. But what changes your whole perception forever is when you start your engine for the first time with the SmartCarb and you immediately notice that it runs smoother, quieter and has a completely different tone (many say it smells different too). When you finally ride it you recognize without a doubt that the engine is much happier and predictable, you are much more in control, with no sudden pipe hit, no light load misfiring on decels; just smooth tractable power. A lot of users report it makes them feel like much better riders!:thinking:
    454x likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks a lot John. I am riding my 125 all the time now as it is by far my favorite winter bike and will give here some good rips and then send it to Walt. Very cool of you. :thumbsup:
    454x and wallybean like this.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Will you be making any of the Billet models in the TMXX dimensions? If not when do you expect to have the die cast models for that application done? Thanks for coming here and talking to us.
  15. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ...and I'm sure you like to offer us a group buy at an awesome price :>) I contacted you guys about dealer setups but you do not offer them at this time. :cheers: Oh, I mean welcome and thanks for the info. :D
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    what type of MPG increases can we expect? We are crazy about our thirsty 165cc bikes and always looking for range off road.

From the GG link...

unbelievable atomization, instant throttle response, 30%+ gains in fuel economy, 10%+ gains in HP, 8%+ gains in torque and an emissions reduction.

Really?
  18. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    +1
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

K and Walt I'm going to pull my SmartCarb off and ship it out to you on Monday. K if you will send me a PM with the address you would like it shipped to that would be great. I don't want Walt to need snow spikes for his test :lol:. I have two other bikes to ride so you guys get your selves several good rides in so you can see/feel and report your thoughts on it. I just got in from more "testing" in my woods and back pasture :D. Still :banana:.
  20. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GasGas EC300 2009 KTM 300XC
    We have seen a consistent gain in fuel economy of 30% on every two stroke we have put them on.
    454x and wallybean like this.